Iconico RTX 3070 Awful Performance

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
All I care about is getting you the best performance and a working machine.

This has been incredibly difficult to run basic troubleshooting. We should have completed this days ago, but it’s taken so long because there are giant gaps between basic processes. Obviously people have their personal lives, but it helps if you can dedicate some time to the process.

to be quite frank also, had you said at the outset “I’m not entirely sure how to clean install windows” this process would have taken significantly less time.

Unfortunately a little knowledge can be a terrible thing.

I really want a satisfactory resolution to this and it would literally take a matter of 30 mins or so to give some conclusive evidence and an Avenue forwards.

From what I can see the free version has normal benchmark settings.

Last edited:

cmoto

userbenchmark has some priblem with something on our ionico bro, I have the same issue gpu is skipped thats why the score is so terrible. I did the otherone I think it was mark10¿ ? and I had 5100 or so... with bad configuration I will try this firestrike bench later and report here. Userbenchmark dont like the gamecenter I think. Dont worry. Your Notebook is ok, we will find a fix for that 🙄😂. The only bad ting on this ionicos is the missing thunderbolt if you have everything with tb and a lame 3060 😄 other then that are the sound.

angelo994

Silver Level Poster
It’s going to be so hilarious when PCS diagnose the fault as a faulty motherboard. And what I find even more hilarious is that I did install windows correctly the first time.
When you’ve accumulated any significant experience in troubleshooting you’ll find assumptions are generally made and that’s because it usually comes down to the same few issues. So these people who offer assistance will go through the motions to know that they’re working from a truly clean slate.

For the record, I find that labelling someone who offered you a full evening of their time (and has actually given you more than that amount) to try and sort this as ‘snotty and condescending’ is a bit out of order. As frustrated as you may be at this current juncture, please consider this a friendly warning to keep things civil.
While, like I said, I do greatly appreciate the time and help put in so far, the guy is extremely condescending and rude with the tone of some of his comments.

Anyways, like I said. We’ll see what PCS say when the get to my laptop. As for now, I’m done. And very, naturally, annoyed. Goodnight

angelo994

Silver Level Poster
All I care about is getting you the best performance and a working machine.

This has been incredibly difficult to run basic troubleshooting. We should have completed this days ago, but it’s taken so long because there are giant gaps between basic processes. Obviously people have their personal lives, but it helps if you can dedicate some time to the process.

to be quite frank also, had you said at the outset “I’m not entirely sure how to clean install windows” this process would have taken significantly less time.

Unfortunately a little knowledge can be a terrible thing.

I really want a satisfactory resolution to this and it would literally take a matter of 30 mins or so to give some conclusive evidence and an Avenue forwards.

From what I can see the free version has normal benchmark settings.
It’s fine. You have my permission to remove yourself entirely from this problem.

D

Deleted member 17413

One note.

Its written text. Meaning that 80% of the tone you read is interpretation.
I get its annoying/fustrating...dont disagree one bit. But I think you're mistaking flat statements as being loaded in some way.

And Agentcooper was right, Spyder has tried to give you a LOT of time...what other explaination for that is there than a genuine commitment to trying to get you up and running?

Theres no need to be firing back like this.

D

Deleted member 17413

If I were a Mod, i'd just lock the thread at this point.
They arent paid to do this, its all off their own backs.

You may be far happier dealing direct with PCS anyway, refund or otherwise.

barlew

Godlike
Ran 3DMark Timespy and here are the results. Not good enough.

These results are horrific. If you have done a correct clean install of a genuine copy of Windows and you have configured correctly then there is something wrong with the laptop.

The temps during the benchmark look fine so on the face of it it doesn't look like a bad paste job.

* edit*- looking at that time spy result the average clock frequency on your GPU looks pretty low.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Quite honestly at this point I am so tired of running these benchmarks and getting the exact same results as the beginning. Very clearly there is a major issue going on. And clearly I am not smart enough to solve it. My laptop is being collected tomorrow. PCS can diagnose the issue themselves, but I am seriously questioning either a full refund or at the least compensation of some sorts. This whole experience has not been good enough at all.

But as for now, I am done. I will give an update when PCS get to diagnosing my laptop. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
I think at this point that's probably your best course of action.

Did installing the PCS chipset driver clean up those devices missing drivers in your Device Manager display from yesterday? TBH if there are no devices missing drivers, and you reinstalled Windows deleting all partitions as described, and you're still having issues then one does have to suspect hardware.

Let us know what PCS say. :)

angelo994

Silver Level Poster
I think at this point that's probably your best course of action.

Did installing the PCS chipset driver clean up those devices missing drivers in your Device Manager display from yesterday? TBH if there are no devices missing drivers, and you reinstalled Windows deleting all partitions as described, and you're still having issues then one does have to suspect hardware.

Let us know what PCS say. :)
Yeah, I have no unknown devices in my device manager now.
These results are horrific. If you have done a correct clean install of a genuine copy of Windows and you have configured correctly then there is something wrong with the laptop.

The temps during the benchmark look fine so on the face of it it doesn't look like a bad paste job.

* edit*- looking at that time spy result the average clock frequency on your GPU looks pretty low.
Like I said, the problem seems beyond someone of my knowledge level. Hopefully PCS can diagnose the fault.

I’ll get back to this thread as soon as I get more info. Thanks for your help everyone!

kshina

One note.

Its written text. Meaning that 80% of the tone you read is interpretation.
I get its annoying/fustrating...dont disagree one bit. But I think you're mistaking flat statements as being loaded in some way.

And Agentcooper was right, Spyder has tried to give you a LOT of time...what other explaination for that is there than a genuine commitment to trying to get you up and running?

Theres no need to be firing back like this.

I understand his frustration. Imagine spending nearly £2k... lot of money.

Keep it open - It would good to see how this is resolved to the end so that others can learn.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken

Keep it open - It would good to see how this is resolved to the end so that others can learn.
It absolutely will be kept open unless it degenerates into name-calling and childish behaviour.

And I don't think anyone is disputing that it's frustrating. It's about having a level head and not letting that frustration win. One forum member (he knows who he is) had a terrible time of it with a particular model of laptop but at all times was incredibly clear minded and has a lot of respect from us for the way he approached things.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

It makes no difference whether he spent £20, £2000 or £20,000, PCS treat everyone the same.

The reason for this long thread is that it's absolutely essential to eliminate software as the cause of one's problems before thinking that it's hardware and involving PCS. In addition, PCS do not support anything that was installed by the user and in the case of a system bought with no-OS that would likely include the operating system.

We have been working with the user in this thread to ensure that a complete and reliable copy of Windows and drivers were installed before it was possible to be confident that the performance issues were real and not caused by bad software or drivers. Now that we are at the stage where it looks like the user does have a complete and reliable operating system and he still has issues, then a return to PCS is the next step.

Your implied suggestion (and especially your use of bold text) that we would close or delete a thread because it reflected badly on PCS is frankly offensive. I see that you joined the forum less than a week ago, I would advise you therefore to spend some time on here finding out how these fora are managed before making statements like this.

D

Deleted member 17413

Theres a difference between being fustrated and annoyed, and accusing someone who is spending their own free time (and significant amounts of it, over several days) if being rude or snobbish or condensending, when all theyve done is give factual step by steps and ask questions to try and work out whats going on as they arent there themselves to be able to see.

Spyder did not deserve to be accused of such things, especially when most of it (if not all of it) is in the other persons head and their own interpretation of written text. The reader -nearly always- implies their own tone in such communication.

And no, they wont close it, they dont unless it turns nasty. If anything they are very open on these forums.
Doesnt mean that the OP actually deserves their help when thats the way they get responded to. They dont work for PCS, they dont get paid to be here, they are volunteers with absolutely no obligation.

He then goes round tagging any critical comment of him with laughter emojis. Most places run by unpaid volunteers would tell him where to go by that point... he should think himself lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
People, please stop taking pot-shots at @angelo994. He's had a horrible experience and has been better than many at accepting help and being prepared to try out the many suggestions we've been making. I understand his frustration completely, we're not all highly experienced at Windows troubleshooting and I don't doubt he's been struggling at the limits of his knowledge at times. Personally I think he's done a great job following our troubleshooting steps and I'm only disappointed that we weren't able to find that this was a software issue (as I was pretty sure it was).

I'm always happy to help people who are prepared to help themselves, and @angelo994 has been more prepared than most to help himself. In my book he's been a star.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
People, please stop taking pot-shots at @angelo994. He's had a horrible experience and has been better than many at accepting help and being prepared to try out the many suggestions we've been making. I understand his frustration completely, we're not all highly experienced at Windows troubleshooting and I don't doubt he's been struggling at the limits of his knowledge at times. Personally I think he's done a great job following our troubleshooting steps and I'm only disappointed that we weren't able to find that this was a software issue (as I was pretty sure it was).

I'm always happy to help people who are prepared to help themselves, and @angelo994 has been more prepared than most to help himself. In my book he's been a star.
Totally agree (y)

uaibuloo

I may surely be wrong but I am convinced that the problem is somehow software ...
graphic card works, cpu works

the scores may be low but it can easily be due to incorrect configuration of driver settings, mux bios, windows power profile, software conflicts etc etc ...

from my experience with pcs i know that a pc purchased without os comes with a test operating system and a pre-installed 3dmark useful for their pre-shipment benchmarks ...

it would have been useful to do a 3dmark BEFORE the "clean" reinstall and then AFTER in order to check the comparison

Macco26

Expert
Just to be clear, another reseller of the same Tongfang of Angelo says this in their driver page:
NOTE: If your system is missing any drivers please install these drivers before downloading a driver from the direct website, ie: Download our Nvidia Driver before downloading the latest version directly from Nvidia. Please contact support if you have any questions.

I don't know why, but suggesting to go straight to Intel or Nvidia and download the drivers is not the solution for those Nvidia Optimus machines. You first need Intel and Nvidia drivers from the ODMs package, THEN, after installed that, you are allowed to upgrade to the latest version from the nvidia website.
This should be used for every Tongfang chassis at the least (Ionico, Elimina pro).

I'll add also that sometimes drivers provided by the ODM are made to stay at the lowest C-states of the processor (I saw this in reddit, told by another official SI of Tongfang). This means you should install the LAN and WIFI drivers provided by PCS. Going overboard with Intel download tools etc. might bring C states are all over the places, your laptop consumes more energy etc. This latter part does not cover Angelo's problem, and its issue might also be something hardware at this point.

But for the Intel & Nvidia GPU drivers part, do what the SI suggests. Pity PCS is not so vocal enough but being the Tongfang model THE SAME, keep in mind what other SI have said in that regard.

angelo994

Silver Level Poster
I’m not even opposed to purchasing OS when PCS get the laptop back. All I want is the laptop that I paid for, to work how it should be.

barlew

Godlike
Just to be clear, another reseller of the same Tongfang of Angelo says this in their driver page:
NOTE: If your system is missing any drivers please install these drivers before downloading a driver from the direct website, ie: Download our Nvidia Driver before downloading the latest version directly from Nvidia. Please contact support if you have any questions.

I don't know why, but suggesting to go straight to Intel or Nvidia and download the drivers is not the solution for those Nvidia Optimus machines. You first need Intel and Nvidia drivers from the ODMs package, THEN, after installed that, you are allowed to upgrade to the latest version from the nvidia website.
This should be used for every Tongfang chassis at the least (Ionico, Elimina pro).

I'll add also that sometimes drivers provided by the ODM are made to stay at the lowest C-states of the processor (I saw this in reddit, told by another official SI of Tongfang). This means you should install the LAN and WIFI drivers provided by PCS. Ging overboard with Intel download tools etc. might bring C states are all over the places, your laptop consumes more energy etc. This latter part does not cover Angelo's problem, and its issue might also be something hardware at this point.

But for the Intel & Nvidia GPU drivers part, do what the SI suggests. Pity PCS is not so vocal enough but being the Tongfang model THE SAME, keep in mind what other SI have said in that regard.
Seems very strange this.