ICue and USB issue

Vajra

Silver Level Poster
Good evening ladies and gents.

I have a question regarding ICue software. Received pc back in December and it performs flawlessly however ICue is giving me headache since last week. I think it began a day or two after installing Windows update.

What happens is that every time I boot pc I can hear this "device connected" sound which you get whenever you plug something in USB port, thing is I didn't plug anything new, same setup since day 1. I can also hear device being disconnected then connected again at random while using pc, during gaming, browsing, watching Netflix without any pattern but I have no issues with anything plugged into USB ( mouse, keyboard and speakers). Sometimes this would only happen once or twice a day but occasionally pc would go berserk and this would go on for a good couple of minutes few time a day.

I noticed that each time this happens RGB would switch off and then on again. I have googled the symptoms and I have found a couple of threads were people reported similar issues and which apparently were somehow related to ICue not working well with some motherboards ( for instance X570 just like mine).

Some suggested that ordering USB not to save the energy would do the trick but unfortunately that didn't work for me.

Apparently this issue has been known for a while and Corsair was supposed to fix it but I saw that some still experience this issue to this day. I didn't experience any issues since I uninstalled ICue 3 days ago but I would really appreciate having some control over 5 RGB fans and a pump. Does anyone have similar experience with ICue?

I know there's other software to control RGB but I must admit that I really liked to have RGB controls plus temperatures all in one place and since I have Corsair case and AIO I thought it's only fitting to use Corsair ICue.

I have installed Nirsoft USBLogviewer and managed to capture this. Please see the picture below.

Case
CORSAIR iCUE 5000X RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)

Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING WIFI (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!

Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB)

Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 Ti - HDMI, DP

1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 530 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 3000MB/W)

2nd M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)

1st Storage Drive
NOT REQUIRED
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Attachments

• IMG_20220120_213301.jpg
    IMG_20220120_213301.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Have you confirmed that the commander core is correctly plugged into your motherboards usb header? A loose connection might be the cause of the random connect and disconnect behaviour you've seen?

Based on your motherboard's manual, it should be one of these two headers on the lower end of the board:
1642719267198.png

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I see a few people reporting issues with the Commander Pro and X570 motherboards with a quick Google. The Pro predates the X570, but the H115i Capellix has the Commander Core, so they should play nicely together....

Vajra

Silver Level Poster
Morning, thanks for reply. I checked and both headers are plugged in firmly, none is loose.

Attachments

• IMG_20220121_074657-min.jpg
    IMG_20220121_074657-min.jpg
    810.6 KB · Views: 153

Vajra

Silver Level Poster
Yes mate, uninstalled ICue and downloaded newest version ( v4.19.191) from Corsair website.

Attachments

• IMG_20220121_081117 (1) (1) (1).jpg
    IMG_20220121_081117 (1) (1) (1).jpg
    862.4 KB · Views: 123

Vajra

Silver Level Poster
I'm confused now. I thought ICue and drivers was all that I needed? I don't really know what to say, sorry. How can I check this?

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
This post on that Corsair thread listed a number of things to try, worth testing them perhaps. But many users in that thread seem to report that inclusion of a USB hub was the ultimate solution

Vajra

Silver Level Poster

This would help with the issue. I have this issue too.
What exactly did you do? This thread describes few things like buying USB hub, updating chipset drivers and messing around in bios. I already updated chipset drivers, buying new USB hub to solve this would be really annoying on a new build like mine and PCS permissions is needed to update the bios. Which one of these you suggest?

bigmaraippo

Bronze Level Poster
What exactly did you do? This thread describes few things like buying USB hub, updating chipset drivers and messing around in bios. I already updated chipset drivers, buying new USB hub to solve this would be really annoying on a new build like mine and PCS permissions is needed to update the bios. Which one of these you suggest?

I updated my ICUE and since then it has not been making those noises lately. I used to get them randomly in game, when idle, I get it almost everytime I open up ICUE for the first time too. Just make sure your ICUE is update. Best thing would to mention your experience in their forums and see if theres anything that can be done too.

Vajra

Silver Level Poster
I updated my ICUE and since then it has not been making those noises lately. I used to get them randomly in game, when idle, I get it almost everytime I open up ICUE for the first time too. Just make sure your ICUE is update. Best thing would to mention your experience in their forums and see if theres anything that can be done too.
I've got the latest version of ICue and forced update in ICue settings but random disconnects continue.

my username

I have the exact problem OP has, sent my PC back twice, (currently still with them).

ICUE, software and firmware up to date.
BIOS up to date.
brought an internal USB hub, but that never worked.

From what i'm reading online, it seems to be an issue with the motherboard and not corsair.

I don't think there is a fix, but if anyone finds a work around let me know.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I have the exact problem OP has, sent my PC back twice, (currently still with them).

ICUE, software and firmware up to date.
BIOS up to date.
brought an internal USB hub, but that never worked.

From what i'm reading online, it seems to be an issue with the motherboard and not corsair.

I don't think there is a fix, but if anyone finds a work around let me know.
Do you have an X570 MB? Which type? Perhaps a "downgrade" to a B550 might be the solution.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
My similar issue was the little USB hub that was wedged in between the bottom of the case and the PSU.

Seems that my tidying up of the rat's nest of wiring behind the side panel had dislodged it slightly, so that the cable that went to the Lighting Note was not fully seated...and caused the regular disconnect/connect sounds.

So not software related at all.

USB hub.jpg