If my pc runs on 850 watts, how much (£) will it cost per hour?

Someone77

Note: The company that I'm with it takes (👇) per kWh.
IMG_20211111_131557.jpg

steaky360

I'd doubt anyone can answer with any veracity because the question is a bit more complex. How you use the PC will affect how much power it draws (it won't draw MAXIMUM power all of the time for example).

Lots of guesstimates aside (there's a reddit thread you can find about this specific question (quick google :) ) if you guess a 850W PSU at max load draws ~1000W at from the wall (maybe its not 100% efficient) it'll draw 1Kw so over an hour would cost 20.25p to run (given the above pic...). Obviously the variation on that theme is important (so if you only draw ~500W for the hour it would be half that)

Its a little more complex a question unfortunately.

Someone77

I'd doubt anyone can answer with any veracity because the question is a bit more complex. How you use the PC will affect how much power it draws (it won't draw MAXIMUM power all of the time for example).

Lots of guesstimates aside (there's a reddit thread you can find about this specific question (quick google :) ) if you guess a 850W PSU at max load draws ~1000W at from the wall (maybe its not 100% efficient) it'll draw 1Kw so over an hour would cost 20.25p to run (given the above pic...). Obviously the variation on that theme is important (so if you only draw ~500W for the hour it would be half that)

Its a little more complex a question unfortunately.
10 pound for the hour??, that's a fortune

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
At the moment at idle my CPU power draw is peaking at about 65 Watts, and GPU about 36 Watts, so that's 100 Watts total (both figures peak draw CPU drops to about 16) so that's 0.1 KW, now if it does that for an hour that's 0.1 KW/H or just over 2p

Rakk

The Awesome
Anyways. the main point here (from steaky's original message) is that is really difficult to give an accurate costing due to the fact the PSU does not always pull everything.

But we can say its unlikely to cost more than 20p an hour at that rate show in the pic :) (if you don't have a fixed rate elec plan though it's liable to rise)

20.25 pence?
Yes per hour - as explained by steaky in his response

Someone77

Anyways. the main point here (from steaky's original message) is that is really difficult to give an accurate costing due to the fact the PSU does not always pull everything.

But we can say its unlikely to cost more than 20p an hour at that rate show in the pic :) (if you don't have a fixed rate elec plan though it's liable to rise)

Yes per hour
Thank you all for helping me I thought it was taking 10pound per hour I was about to commit suicide😂

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
With AC power you can't just use Ohms law, there is a power factor you need to apply. It's the ratio of the power drawn by the load (the PSU) to the RMS power of the supply. Its way more complex a calculation than you imagine.