im a linux user

WortonTech

Bronze Level Poster
And a windows one too :)

I run an old asus g50 gaming laptop with Gentoo linux, gnome 3.10 and v3 kernel. System-D.

I have used redhat, ubuntu, suse, selinux, bsd, sco and gentoo is the one i enjoy most of all :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Awesome! You seem like an experienced Linux user? More than me anyway, I used Ubuntu for about a year and have Xubuntu and Mint installed on my new laptop but I'm mostly tied to Windows for development purposes :(

Stephen M

Author Level
I enjoy trying new Distros. I use Ubuntu mainly but have also got Zorin on my laptop at the moment and have tried Mint, Arch, Fedora, Manjaro, CrunchBang and a few others. However, I find Ubuntu the best as I like the desktop. I am getting a new laptop soon and may have Windows 7 on it just as there are still a few things I need it for although most of my work is done on Linux. I shall certainly not be going anywhere near Windows 8.

OK, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora are the ones I've stuck with for any length of time. Bodhi Linux for a little while.
I like the Gnome 3 desktop, Unity & KDE4.

I only use Windows at work - just cos one has to, you know :)

WortonTech

Bronze Level Poster
I have to use it too. Linux is on my laptop and I use it from time to time just to mess around with as its fun but I need to know it for work stuff because now and again there is always something linux based which needs looking at. I had someone who had run rm /etc -rf once and had to restore :)

Video editing and general usage is a lot better than windows. My windows machine is fast, but its my main desktop and home and I have another windows laptop for work, a dell e6410 and its pants :)

I ran Linux as my main machine for about 8 years but then work had to take priority and they only run MS stuff, bah :)

Hah! You need to be careful when copy/pasting commands in Terminal!

I have been with Linux since around 2008 though I haven't gone quite as deep as you obviously have... Gentoo etc...

Kdenlive works well for me for Video editing and I use a distro called AVLinux on my dedicated Sound Studio PC. I can't ever imagine going back to Windows at home - and it's not just for all the well trodden reasons (viruses, inferior security, bloatware, cost, lock-in etc) it must be the feel of it. Linux, any Linux, feels fresher, sharper, more modern than any MS production so far.

I introduced a long-time Win user to Linux recently and he was absolutely astounded that you could run a full Operating System off an 8Gb Memory Stick! No Less than Ubuntu 14.04LTS, as it happens. Folks are brainwashed into thinking that MS or the Apple walled garden are the only options.

Even the driver situation in Linux is improving by leaps and bounds - it's often forgotten that Windows is far from immune to driver issues. Again, when you install a Linux distro it takes care of all the drivers that are packed into the kernel and just lets you get on with it.

It has been, and continues to be, a breath of fresh air!

P.S. After being blue-screened one too many times on my work Windows XP (aaarrrgh) box, I contacted our IT company to ask if on my new forthcoming Win7 box I could try running Win7 in a VM on top of Linux to try and give me a nice clean work environment. I was told by the first technician that they didn't support Linux and by the second that the VM software they run on our server uses a Linux Kernel... but it doesn't run Linux! Sometimes they don't even know what they don't support!