In search of some desktop speakers

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I've spent the last two or so years with the only sound output on my setup being headphones. Now, I like headphones, but it would be nice sometimes to have some decent speakers. So I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

My uses:
  • Listening to music (primarily classical)
  • Video editing, including both speech and music
  • Occasionally playing the odd game (but nothing precise where 3d sound is important)
I would quite like something that looks serious to go with my increasingly serious setup (black and silver colours). I'd quite like to be able to run them straight off my PC without having to worry about an amp or an interface cluttering up my desk. I don't care about any smart capability; indeed, I'd much rather avoid it. I don't care about Bluetooth. I'm happy spending in the broad region of £200.

I'm wondering about the Presonus Eris E4.5, which I believe I can run directly from the motherboard sound on my PC with a TRS 3.5mm to RCA cable. (I'd love it if someone could confirm that for me!)

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've spent the last two or so years with the only sound output on my setup being headphones. Now, I like headphones, but it would be nice sometimes to have some decent speakers. So I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

My uses:
  • Occasionally playing the odd game (but nothing precise where 3d sound is important)
I would quite like something that looks serious to go with my increasingly serious setup (black and silver colours). I'd quite like to be able to run them straight off my PC without having to worry about an amp or an interface cluttering up my desk. I don't care about any smart capability; indeed, I'd much rather avoid it. I don't care about Bluetooth. I'm happy spending in the broad region of £200.

I'm wondering about the Presonus Eris E4.5, which I believe I can run directly from the motherboard sound on my PC with a TRS 3.5mm to RCA cable. (I'd love it if someone could confirm that for me!)

The Presonus are very capable, and good amps.

The ones I always come back to though are Adams although a lot more expensive, there's something about a Ribbon tweeter, if you haven't heard one I'd massively suggest trying some out, Ribbon tweeters can move so much faster, are much more natural sounding, and just superb for any kind of studio use especially for voices

I know Thomann are based in Germany I think, but there's a few UK stockists who may allow you to demo the speakers for a period of time.

I always recommend Andertons who are in Surrey, amazing service and excellent aftercare, worth giving them a call to discuss options.

There's also GAK who are based in Brighton who may well let you demo some speakers, give them both a call and ask about a demo of a couple of units to see what you think is better for you

which I believe I can run directly from the motherboard sound on my PC with a TRS 3.5mm to RCA cable. (I'd love it if someone could confirm that for me!)
Any active monitor (which has it's own amps on board) can be run direct from motherboard 1/4 Jack output perhaps with an adapter down to the 1/4 jack, although I'd strongly recommend investing in a proper audio interface when you're able to as it does make a huge improvement at this kind of level

If you only want speakers and say a Mic, then it's a basic 2 channel audio interface which you can pick up for around £100 for a really good one.

NB Avoid anything by Behringer, it's throwaway garbage

Even something like this would be great to get you started

Last edited:

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I had a pair of (now discontinued) Edirol/Roland MA15D micro monitors for about 10 years, attached via Toslink to my Mac, and really liked the sound of them.

Only got rid of them when I got my new gaming PC and Mac Studio because I didn’t have the space for them on an increasingly cramped desk, and I was running out of power sockets 🤣

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Andertons also have a B Stock section which has open boxes that have been returned, much like Amazon Warehouse, you can often find some good deals.

But this is their B Stock section

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
This is awesome; thanks so much.

The Presonus are very capable, and good amps.
That's a good start at least!

The ones I always come back to though are Adams although a lot more expensive, there's something about a Ribbon tweeter, if you haven't heard one I'd massively suggest trying some out, Ribbon tweeters can move so much faster, are much more natural sounding, and just superb for any kind of studio use especially for voices

I'm not sure about >£300, to be honest. I'm sure they're lovely, but it's a lot more money. I'll have a think about it!

Perhaps it's a small thing, but I do quite like the idea with the Presonuses of not having to power the two speakers separately. I already have enough cable mess going on!

Any active monitor (which has it's own amps on board) can be run direct from motherboard 1/4 Jack output perhaps with an adapter down to the 1/4 jack, although I'd strongly recommend investing in a proper audio interface when you're able to as it does make a huge improvement at this kind of level

If you only want speakers and say a Mic, then it's a basic 2 channel audio interface which you can pick up for around £100 for a really good one.

NB Avoid anything by Behringer, it's throwaway garbage

Even something like this would be great to get you started

I have actually had a couple of Behringer interfaces over the years. They did a job (most for livestreaming purposes where they were perfectly good enough!) but both have failed. Not going there again.

I'm kind of inclined towards running the speakers directly off the motherboard for now, and maybe getting an interface to go along with them later...

Thanks again for the advice. It's not an urgent purchase for me, but definitely something to carry on thinking about!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This is awesome; thanks so much.

That's a good start at least!

I'm not sure about >£300, to be honest. I'm sure they're lovely, but it's a lot more money. I'll have a think about it!

Perhaps it's a small thing, but I do quite like the idea with the Presonuses of not having to power the two speakers separately. I already have enough cable mess going on!

I have actually had a couple of Behringer interfaces over the years. They did a job (most for livestreaming purposes where they were perfectly good enough!) but both have failed. Not going there again.

I'm kind of inclined towards running the speakers directly off the motherboard for now, and maybe getting an interface to go along with them later...

Thanks again for the advice. It's not an urgent purchase for me, but definitely something to carry on thinking about!
The Presonus you linked are decent, no question, they'll do a really good job.

RichLan564

Bright Spark

My uses:

I have the Presonus 3.5, very happy with them, Mackie CR-X3 seem to get good press too

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
So I have the Presonus 4.5s on my desk now. Honestly I'm delighted. They're running directly from the sound card for now; I may get a better DAC at some point, but certainly right now it doesn't feel necessary as the quality is very good indeed. (And I live in a city centre flat, so I can't go all that loud anyway!)

I'm listening to Chopin's Etudes (one of my favourite pieces of music) right now and I couldn't ask any more of them. Everything else I've done with them has also been excellent. I'm very pleased.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.