INCOMING!!!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This was just posted by Hardware Unboxed

1664311526996.png

It's kinda certain really X670 is not a viable solution in most cases, think B650 is going to be the mainstream adoption, which means no PCIe 5 NVME capability. Unless Newegg has just listed placeholders and they're not the actual prices.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This is a really interesting thermal test by Der8uer on normal Ryzen 7900x and one with the IHS removed entirely and cooler placed direct to silicon with liquid metal paste

It would be liquid metal between the silicon and the IHS so does suggest that the pure thickness of the IHS may be playing a large part in such high temps.

20220929_103917.jpg

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
It's official. I'm waiting for the 3D option.

My main enjoyment is FS2020 so no way I'm going to plum for a 7900X when the 5800X3D out-performs it :D
I wish I could wait that long. But my present computer is so old, I can't play Days Gone in anything like "all its glory".
So, I've just bought one with a 7700X. That should keep me going for a few years. I'll put a 2070 Super into it, to drive the new monitor I'm also buying, just to tide me over until the 4060/70s come on stream. I'll decide if I need one of those then. They'll drive the cost of 3060/70s down too, if the 40** is much more than I need. Then I'll consider a 7700X3D, if such a chip is released 😃

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Undervolting is going to be a must I reckon. The time it takes to do a per core CO would be worth it.

I think most would expect that to be the case. AMD are going hard for Intel with the aggressive setup.

AMD chips now offer seriously good overheads for overclocking etc.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just watching this, they're heavily commenting on AMD's Eco Mode which is a new thing on Zen 4. Watch from the beginning for the Eco Mode bit.

It wasn't available in the driver on Day One, but has now been properly implemented, and apparently performance is hardly touched but power is significantly reduced.

Full benchmarks are on the way

This for me is incredibly promising as it's an area I'm really passionate about, I want as low power consumption as I can achieve while still having really good performance

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Reading between the lines I kind of saw that coming. AMD have been very clever here and they have done the opposite of what Intel tend to do.

If you think about Intel, they set the boost clocks at a default that all chips can achieve, and then allow users to boost their clocks based on the binning by adding voltage & heat.

What AMD seem to have done, is find the mean maximum that these chips can run regardless of bin and then enabled a mode where the power gets capped and the binning determines how well they boost.

It's a very different way of doing things IMO but it's also very clever. It's very strange how they have gone about it though. Is this a deliberately planted easter egg? I don't think they've played that hand the best way that they could, but I'm glad that it's far more sensible on the power front with that mode enabled.

Eco mode for most scenarios, non-Eco for max performance. Best of both worlds with no down side?

It also gives more hope for the 3D offerings. Rumour has it they'll only drop 1-200mhz on the boost clocks, which would be a fantastic return. My guess is the 3D offerings will possibly be reduced power versions of the current chips with the stacked cache, Eco mode = 3D default.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'm confused by the 5800X3D comment. I'm hoping it refers to the 7800X3D as I recall reading something about that. A 5800X3D at 5.5Ghz without some serious press doesn't sound likely...... and wouldn't make sense in the context really.

A 5.5Ghz 7800X3D will truly be a force to be reckoned with if the 5800X3D progression is linear.