Inferno 11" GFX card

Balrock

Hi there,

I was thinking about purchasing a 11.6" Inferno, but I held off after the quad core processor was removed. My interest returned when the quad was reinstated, however I have noticed 2 extra quad core's have appeared on the configuration menu, which has led me to ask the question - Will the GPU remain a 650M?, or will the configuration menu have extra cards to choose from in the future?

My real interest lie's with the 680M - but I have a feeling it's probably too large for the inferno to handle, am I correct in assuming this? or will it be an option at some point in the future?

If not, im probably going to go with the following:

Chassis & Display
Inferno Series: 11.6" Glossy HD LED Widescreen (1366x768)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3820QM (2.70GHz) 8MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M - 2.0GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk
750GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT HYBRID, SATA 6 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1102 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N NETWORK CARD
Power Lead & Adaptor
Upgrade to 1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor (£12)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence

Thanks for any replies.

Balrock.

Last edited:

tom6561

Gold Level Poster
I think the 650M will be the only card available for that chassis. If you don't mind me asking what are you using the cpu for because if it's only for gaming (which it is for most people on here) then it's probably overkill :)

Balrock

The set-up is indeed for gaming, and super portability. I chose the overkill CPU for longevity, I don't plan on buying another 11.6" laptop for quite a number of years, so I wanted to buy something that would still be relatively powerful in say 3-4 years time.

This is the reason I was asking about the GPU options. In a few years time the CPU may be quite powerful, but on the scale of things, im not so sure about the GPU - considering the power of the 680m, which appears, on the surface at least, to blow all the existing mobile Nvidia GPU's away.

I know the ATI cards are great in their own right, and was seriously considering a larger laptop with the 7970M, but I'm not a fan, mainly due to the fact that my best m8 generally buy's ATI, and is constantly having driver issues. I guess I'm a Nvidia fanboy. :p

I also noticed that the larger laptops, sporting the 650m are the DDR5 variant. Will the 11.6" have the option of DDR5? or is it limited to DDR3 due to size?

Last edited:

Adli

Enthusiast
larger laptops, sporting the 650m are the DDR5 variant. Will the 11.6" have the option of DDR5? or is it limited to DDR3 due to size?

the DDR5 version also produces more heat than the DDR3 version, which may be an issue with the smaller chassis of the Inferno.

Dizmo

The set-up is indeed for gaming, and super portability. I chose the overkill CPU for longevity, I don't plan on buying another 11.6" laptop for quite a number of years, so I wanted to buy something that would still be relatively powerful in say 3-4 years time.

This is the reason I was asking about the GPU options. In a few years time the CPU may be quite powerful, but on the scale of things, im not so sure about the GPU - considering the power of the 680m, which appears, on the surface at least, to blow all the existing mobile Nvidia GPU's away.

You are quite right in realising that the GPU will always be the bottleneck except for highly CPU intensive games. Anything above a 3610QM would be wasted on games IMO, and the gain in power vs. extra cost ratio isn't that great (about a 40% increase in total laptop cost for 17% greater CPU speed). Unless you just play CPU intensive games, the GPU will need replacing long before the CPU.

Last edited:

Jaydea

Bronze Level Poster
Just think of it this way, The Inferno is going to run things at a much lower res than other laptops with the 650m. This means it is going to outperform bigger laptops of the same card. I don't think you have anything to worry about tbh.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
We have added the faster quad core CPUs because we have listed a 120W AC Adapter with these. Our configurator will force you to select this to ensure the chassis has enough power.