Inferno 11" windows home re-install has reset to windows 8 pro?

grofit

So I purchased an inferno a while back and it has been great but it had a lot of rubbish on it so wanted to reset it, so I went through the windows 8 reinstall menu and just told it to clear all personal files etc and reset to the base version.

This all went through fine but the windows key will not work (the one on the underside of the laptop) so I skipped it and now I am on the desktop and it has down the bottom right "Windows 8 Pro Build 9200", however I am pretty sure it was the basic/home version of windows 8 I had pre-installed, so is this normal? and if so is there a way to downgrade to home or reset it so it will re-install home?

As the inferno has no cd drive the only way I could install externally would be via USB and I dont have a usb drive to hand (hence the use of the built in windows 8 reinstall).

Any help would be great.

steaky360

My recommendation would be to find/acquire/borrow a usb drive to get some non pro windows 8 installation media set up so you can install the correct version on your PC. There might be a way to downgrade but I wouldn't know how to and it would probably be cleaner to simply install the correct one in the first place.

grofit

Managed to find an 8gb one and did as you mentioned via the media creator thing.

I find it an EXTREMELY stupid process on Microsoft's side where you tell windows to reset and it resets to a completely different one to the one you have installed, and it uses the files you currently have installed to do this... it makes you wonder if it can install pro over my home installation without a net connection or any external media, it must already have the pro version within the home one it just turns features off...

Anyway ranting aside it works now, just far more time wasted than needed to be, thanks for your response though.