*INFO * ASUS® ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II

Seems to be an issue on the Asus Motherboard where it fails to boot from cold on first try. I get an AF: Memory Detect error on first boot after the initial power on. By holding down the power button for 5 seconds and the turning the power on again it boots up the PC.

Seems to be an issue with memory timings as there's posts over the internet in regards to this problem on the Asus Board. Don't know if it's down to my Motherboard, Memory configuration:

Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II: ATX, USB 3.2, SATA 6 GB/s, Wi-Fi AC - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (4 x 8GB)

But just a note for anyone else experiencing this issue having this Motherboard

RobSas

Bronze Level Poster
I have the same issue running 128GB of ram. Disappointing that this one day old PC was dispatched with this issue.
It’s consistent with each power on.
I had a quick google search and you’re right. Lots of people are reporting this.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I would suggest that you both try removing 2 sticks of RAM so you're running with just two in there (make sure they're in the right slots of course) and then try a cold boot. I've read somewhere on here of problems on some ASUS boards with four RAM cards.......?

RobSas

Bronze Level Poster
I would suggest that you both try removing 2 sticks of RAM so you're running with just two in there (make sure they're in the right slots of course) and then try a cold boot. I've read somewhere on here of problems on some ASUS boards with four RAM cards.......?
Hi Ubusa,

I have 8 sticks of Ram totalling 128GB; they're in two groups of 4 sticks so unsure what to remove.

Thanks

Robin

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi Ubusa,

I have 8 sticks of Ram totalling 128GB; they're in two groups of 4 sticks so unsure what to remove.

Thanks

Robin
My post was based on something I read elsewhere on here. I would remove all but two sticks and see whether that allows it to cold boot.

If it does you'll at least know it's a know (hardware) issue.....

RobSas

Bronze Level Poster
My post was based on something I read elsewhere on here. I would remove all but two sticks and see whether that allows it to cold boot.

If it does you'll at least know it's a know (hardware) issue.....
Thanks. Will do later today and will report back.

Hello i have the same motherboard and have problems starting it, I don't know how my pc passed testing but I just can't start it, any advice?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hello i have the same motherboard and have problems starting it, I don't know how my pc passed testing but I just can't start it, any advice?
Unless you're experiencing the same RAM issues as here (in which case try just two RAM sticks) please start your own thread. Post your FULL spec and a detailed description of what happens. :)

RobSas

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks. Will do later today and will report back.

Hi Ubuysa,

I switched on the the PC and had to power down as described in the original issue. As expected when starting again, the system shows a bios post message (system instability error) and you're forced into the BIOS screen.

I'm not sure how I did it but I set everything to Auto (I think they were XMP? originally), saved & exited the bios screen and the issue seems to have resolved...

The PC has been shut down, left for a few minutes and restarted several times today and it appears to be functioning as expected; there's no adverse effects or performance degradation that I can see and all components are present and correct in device manager.

I've run renders in Unreal Engine and pipeline tasks between Blender and After Effects all seems to be ok.

This was all done running the original 128GB of memory so no hardware changes.

For anyone reading this post, please don't accept this as a definitive solution but it seems to have worked for me... for now.

My only remaining issue is to turn off all the RGB stuff in the case - my cat keeps attacking the computer lol!

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi Ubuysa,

I switched on the the PC and had to power down as described in the original issue. As expected when starting again, the system shows a bios post message (system instability error) and you're forced into the BIOS screen.

I'm not sure how I did it but I set everything to Auto (I think they were XMP? originally), saved & exited the bios screen and the issue seems to have resolved...

The PC has been shut down, left for a few minutes and restarted several times today and it appears to be functioning as expected; there's no adverse effects or performance degradation that I can see and all components are present and correct in device manager.

I've run renders in Unreal Engine and pipeline tasks between Blender and After Effects all seems to be ok.

This was all done running the original 128GB of memory so no hardware changes.

For anyone reading this post, please don't accept this as a definitive solution but it seems to have worked for me... for now.

My only remaining issue is to turn off all the RGB stuff in the case - my cat keeps attacking the computer lol!
XMP is (I believe) the RAM overclock that lets you drive it at the advertised speed. You'll likely now find it's running at stock frequencies (ie. slower). However, if the system is stable now then that pretty clearly points to flaky RAM that isn't fully stable with the overclock. I would contact PCS and talk this through with them.

@xSoulShadoWx this may well be your problem too. I would suggest you remove the XMP overclock and try the RAM at stock frequencies to see whether it boots normally then. If so, talk to PCS.

People like @SpyderTracks, @Scott and @AgentCooper who are more experienced with hardware than I may be able to advise you better.

RobSas

Bronze Level Poster
XMP is (I believe) the RAM overclock that lets you drive it at the advertised speed. You'll likely now find it's running at stock frequencies (ie. slower). However, if the system is stable now then that pretty clearly points to flaky RAM that isn't fully stable with the overclock. I would contact PCS and talk this through with them.

Normal PC start again this morning.

Thanks for the info on XPS. I'll let them get this years rush over with and contact them at the backend of January.

Have a great XMAS and New Year!

I've not tried this yet as I'm wanting to run my memory at 3600 as that's the reason I bought it rather than having to drop down to stock speed of 2400 but if there's any more information I'll be keeping an eye on this and contact PCS into the New Year. Hopefully this has sorted out the problems for Robsas

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've not tried this yet as I'm wanting to run my memory at 3600 as that's the reason I bought it rather than having to drop down to stock speed of 2400 but if there's any more information I'll be keeping an eye on this and contact PCS into the New Year. Hopefully this has sorted out the problems for Robsas
Disabling XMP is a temporary testing option. If the RAM is stable at stock frequencies then you can be pretty sure there is nothing else wrong and can talk to PCS about why your RAM isn't stable at 3600MHz.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Is it a common problem with ram at 3600hz ? So 3600hz isnt stock its just oc ram ?
All RAM is basically binned to the higher frequency requirements, so it's exactly the same silicon design, just some is higher quality and can take the increased frequencies, therefor it's "rated" at such a frequency.

The XMP (or DOCP) on AMD boards is essentially just overclocking the memory controller of the CPU to allow it to boost the memory DIMMS to that higher frequency that the manufacturer of the RAM has promised it should be stable at.

The issue with 3600 on AMD boards is perplexxing and no one can quite figure out why it's so hard to get it stable.

I have no doubt there will eventually be a BIOS update to address it, but perhaps that won't be until the release of the X670 boards in first quarter of next year, no one knows.