Information about Windows 8 Shutdown, How to Shutdown Quicker

Gibbs

Gold Level Poster
Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd post this little snippet of info about how Windows 8 manages to shutdown and boot up so quickly these days.

Some of you may have noticed already that Windows 8 uses a method of hibernation still even when shutting down your computer. From my understanding, it saves the basic OS Kernel into it's hibernation file so that when you boot the machine back up, it is able to retrieve the saved info and save it having to re-initialise things like the hardware all over again. Resulting in better boot times. If the OS detects that there has been a hardware change, it ignores the hibernation file and re-initialises all the hardware automatically.

Has anyone noticed also that there seems to be more clicks involved in just shutting down your computer than there was in Windows 7?

Here at PCS, we have a script that runs to install Windows to our new PC's and one of the requirements was to shut down the PC properly at the end without hibernation. To achieve this, I have found that to shut down fully, you can do either of these things:

FORCE WINDOWS 8 TO SHUT DOWN FULLY
hold the SHIFT key down whilst clicking on Shut Down. This forces the OS to shut down without saving hibernation info.

FULL SHUT DOWN PROGRAM
To make things even easier, I made a program that you can use freely that does this for you. If you right click on it and 'Pin to Start Screen', you can shut down with 1 single click!
If you would like this 'One Click Full Shutdown', Here is the program:
It basically shuts down the computer immediately without saving hibernation info using the command "shutdown /s /t 0"

I hope you find this file useful.