Information / guidance on setting up laptop

davidj444

Hello (new to forum) just received my laptop today, was a bit surprised to find that the package didn't have any information about setting up the laptop, how to treat the battery, anything about a warranty, an invoice, copy of the order etc. Does this sound normal or does it sound like there's stuff missing?

Regardless, what is the current best practise for treating the battery of a brand new laptop? Full charge before use and then drain it all the way? How long roughly for a full charge?

Cheers,
David

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello (new to forum) just received my laptop today, was a bit surprised to find that the package didn't have any information about setting up the laptop, how to treat the battery, anything about a warranty, an invoice, copy of the order etc. Does this sound normal or does it sound like there's stuff missing?

Regardless, what is the current best practise for treating the battery of a brand new laptop? Full charge before use and then drain it all the way? How long roughly for a full charge?

Cheers,
David
Hi David.

All your order details will be on your main PCS login. You should have received a welcome pack in the box with manuals etc?

I’m of the belief that you should charge a new battery fully when first using it, no specific time period, just wait til it’s fully charged before you use the laptop off the mains.
Then I’d run it down flat and give it a further full charge overnight. This should fully calibrate the battery within windows and then you can use as you like.

I’ve found that if using the laptop plugged in, turn it off at the mains when you’re finished and it’s shutdown ie don’t leave the charger active whilst it’s powered off and not being used. I found that will add wear to the battery.

There are a few benchmarks and tests you can do to make sure it’s running optimally in windows. There’s a thread on it which I’ll find on a second and post back.

First thing I’d do though is check temps when idle and under load with hwmonitor which you can download here:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Here's a run down of useful programs to thoroughly test your new system and make sure it's operating as you'd like:

davidj444

Hi David.

All your order details will be on your main PCS login. You should have received a welcome pack in the box with manuals etc?

I’m of the belief that you should charge a new battery fully when first using it, no specific time period, just wait til it’s fully charged before you use the laptop off the mains.
Then I’d run it down flat and give it a further full charge overnight. This should fully calibrate the battery within windows and then you can use as you like.

I’ve found that if using the laptop plugged in, turn it off at the mains when you’re finished and it’s shutdown ie don’t leave the charger active whilst it’s powered off and not being used. I found that will add wear to the battery.

There are a few benchmarks and tests you can do to make sure it’s running optimally in windows. There’s a thread on it which I’ll find on a second and post back.

First thing I’d do though is check temps when idle and under load with hwmonitor which you can download here:

Thanks for the advice on batteries. The only thing in the manual was a welcome booklet about desktop computers (mine is a laptop). Thought it a bit odd that there wasn't more information on the system, the components, some guidance on what to do / not to do etc, suggestions for setting it up. Obviously there's Google, but as a non-expert who's paid a fair bit of money for something, a bit of guidance out of the box would certainly be welcome.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the advice on batteries. The only thing in the manual was a welcome booklet about desktop computers (mine is a laptop). Thought it a bit odd that there wasn't more information on the system, the components, some guidance on what to do / not to do etc, suggestions for setting it up. Obviously there's Google, but as a non-expert who's paid a fair bit of money for something, a bit of guidance out of the box would certainly be welcome.
Hmmm, I thought they gave a booklet on the specific laptop, they certainly used to.

Might be worth emailing support with your order number and highlighting that, I wonder if they packaged the wrong one and will send a replacement.

davidj444

Hmmm, I thought they gave a booklet on the specific laptop, they certainly used to.

Might be worth emailing support with your order number and highlighting that, I wonder if they packaged the wrong one and will send a replacement.

Got a reply from customer services saying they didn't have a laptop specific manual, but that on page 24 of the desktop manual there were some bits that are relevant to laptops, and other than that, just turn it on.

davidj444

Ok, my bad.

No worries at all - do you know any tools to test the touchpad (or know any tricks). I've tried changing the speed / sensitivity but at the moment the touchpad is pretty much unusable for editing text / anything requiring accuracy, and I got the laptop for GIS / coding - it sort of jumps around, doesn't move smoothly, difficult to position etc. I don't think it's broken, I just think it isn't very good.

It's Fusion Series Matte 14" if that is useful.

Edit - is there somewhere on this site where I can see my return / refund / repair / warranty options, I haven't got any of that with the order - am I right in thinking there a 14-day grace period where it can be returned for a full refund? (apologies, just found the email with the terms in)

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
No worries at all - do you know any tools to test the touchpad (or know any tricks). I've tried changing the speed / sensitivity but at the moment the touchpad is pretty much unusable for editing text / anything requiring accuracy, and I got the laptop for GIS / coding - it sort of jumps around, doesn't move smoothly, difficult to position etc. I don't think it's broken, I just think it isn't very good.

It's Fusion Series Matte 14" if that is useful.

Edit - is there somewhere on this site where I can see my return / refund / repair / warranty options, I haven't got any of that with the order - am I right in thinking there a 14-day grace period where it can be returned for a full refund? (apologies, just found the email with the terms in)
Yes, you have 14 days to return it no questions asked.

I’m not familiar with that trackpad. Have you made sure all your drivers and windows is up to date in windows update?

davidj444

Yes, you have 14 days to return it no questions asked.

I’m not familiar with that trackpad. Have you made sure all your drivers and windows is up to date in windows update?

Yeah I think so, I ran all the windows updates and drivers first thing out the box, but it does feel like that's the issue, I don't think the hardware could be this bad straight out the box, I'll check again. It feels like different parts of the touchpad have different cursor speeds.