Install M2 SSD into desktop-laptop (screw question)

Saftig

Hello,

I bought a desktop-laptop in 2020 and decided I need a second SSD. It has an open slot so no problems there. I cannot figure out what screw should go in there.

I bought an SSD-Screw kit but all the screws in there seem to be too big and dont fit in there. I believe these are M2x3 and M2x1.5 (if that is a thing?). The length does not seem to be an issue. I also tried screws from the laptop-cover, as they seem to be smaller. But they dont fit either.

So here is a picture of the screw socket :
20220118_133416.jpg

(yes the contact on the wifi card got loose)

There is already a M2-SSD installed. The screw however is really hard to unscrew and Id rather not unscrew it.

20220118_133400.jpg

These are the screws i tried. None of them is small enough to fit.

It is a

Nova Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
case.

I am sorry if this is a beginner question, but I could not really find an answer to it other than "standard SSD screws" which do not seem to fit.

Thanks in Advance!
Christian

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hiya, could you post your full specs from the order page?

What make and model drive are you trying to fit?

Saftig

Of course

Chassis & DisplayNova Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.2GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage DriveNOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated Micro-SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre European Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
BatteryNova Series 4 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 M.2 GAMING + BLUETOOTH 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x USB 3.2 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.2 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Saftig

barlew

Godlike
thanks alot!

however, i feel like its the same screw i already tried (i might be mistaken of course). The winding seems to be too big.
Is m.2 refering to the diameter of the screw winding? Because it seems to be 2mm for my screws.
M.2 is the interface on the motherboard and they all use the same size screws. I have the exact screw set I linked you too and I can confirm that they do fit m.2 standoff points.

Saftig

To be sure, I just tried the screw that is in my wifi card - and it fits. It is of 1mm diameter (self-measured). From a quick google search, M.2 SSD screws are 2mm diameter, correct?

screw2.jpgscrew1.jpg

the left one is the one with 1mm. The right one is the smallest of the SSD-Screw-Set.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
To be sure, I just tried the screw that is in my wifi card - and it fits. It is of 1mm diameter (self-measured). From a quick google search, M.2 SSD screws are 2mm diameter, correct?

View attachment 31898View attachment 31899

the left one is the one with 1mm. The right one is the smallest of the SSD-Screw-Set.
You're getting confused with measurements.

M2 is a screw metric which means 2mm diameter

M.2 screws are particular to M.2 drives and is universal on PCs and laptops.

barlew

Godlike

View attachment 31898View attachment 31899

Like I have already said. The screws I have linked you too will work.

The left screw in your picture is the same as the screws I linked because they are for m.2 standoff points.

Last edited:

Saftig

I see! Yes I thought m.2 and m2 is the same thing for screws - thanks for clearing that up!

While i am at it:

you can see the contact for my wifi card is loose. Do I have to solder it or is there an alternative? (Wifi is working flawlessly though)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I see! Yes I thought m.2 and m2 is the same thing for screws - thanks for clearing that up!

While i am at it:

you can see the contact for my wifi card is loose. Do I have to solder it or is there an alternative? (Wifi is working flawlessly though)
It's just like a clothes popper, just snaps into place, no need for any solder or anything.