Installed Control Centre from PCS website now BSOD.

jaredjeya

I'm going to assume I need to have had a BSOD first for this to be useful? I reinstalled Windows last night and haven't reattempted Control Centre installation yet, so I haven't had any.

Before I do that I want to make a system image that I can recover from in case it permanently bricks my installation, because it still took me 3+ hours between installing Windows, downloading everything, logging in, reconfiguring things that aren't backed up etc. I have USB drive with more than enough memory, but Windows says it's not a valid location. I can't seem to find a free third party tool that will do this for me. Any tips? (Ideally I want something I can just directly restore everything from and skip installing all software etc.)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Yes, you need a couple of BSODs really because the more dumps we have the better.

What tool are you using for the system drive image? The problem may be because the USB drive isn't NTFS formatted, or because there is existing data on there.

Much will depends on what imaging tool you're using.

jaredjeya

I tried Win 7 backup and restore, which said the drive wasn't valid. I tried the workaround of mapping it to a network drive but this didn't work. I also tried some other tools (EaseUS, Minitool I think?) and both required me to fork over money despite pretending they had a free trial! Another one, Hasleo WinToUSB, it wasn't clear if it was cloning my disk or just the OS so I didn't proceed with that one. The last one, Hasleo, appears to have a free disk cloning utility but that wouldn't do it to a USB stick. I did format the drive as NTFS.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The Windows imaging tool is not recommended - not even by Microsoft! There is still a free version of Macrium Reflect available, though not from Macrium. Get it from MajorGeeks. I can strongly recommend Macrium Reflect, I've been a user for a good many years. Be sure to make rescue media before you take an image, you'll need that in order to restore your image - should you need to.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
No, the Macrium rescue media is pretty small, it fits easily on a DVD for example, so a 4GB USB drive should be big enough. But you will need a second USB drive for it.

jaredjeya

Okay so I was procrastinating on getting hold of a second memory stick which is why I haven't done this yet, but one is arriving today.

More concerningly though, I just had my computer bluescreen with what I think was WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (it was up for half a second) followed by it not being able to find a boot medium on restart. Although it fixed itself after I rebooted a few times, that's exactly what killed my laptop the first time round. All signs pointed to it being my SSD failing and so I replaced it. But that's unlikely to be the issue now unless I got really unlucky and was shipped a defective SSD. Do you have any ideas what else could've caused something like that? Could it be the CMOS battery, or an issue with the motherboard maybe? I haven't made any changes to my system since reinstalling Windows a week or two ago.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Under some circumstances the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bugcheck can be caused by a bad driver. You're at that stage where you don't really know whether you have a hardware or a software problem and so I think the most sensible thing for you to do now is to start Windows in Safe Mode.
  • Safe Mode loads a stripped-down version of Windows with only critical services and drivers loaded. No third-party drivers are loaded (except for networking drivers if you start in Safe Mode with networking).
  • You WILL NOT be able to do any useful work in Safe Mode. You will not be able to game for example.
  • Because no third-party drivers are loaded many devices may not work properly (or at all). Your display will be very low resolution for example, because you'll be using the Windows basic display driver.
  • It is VERY IMPORTANT that you try to use the PC/laptop as much as you are able in Safe Mode. It's also important to leave it idle - but do not allow it to sleep, hibernate or shutdown. Your objective is to try and make it BSOD in Safe Mode, so do persevere for as long as you can stand it - a couple of hours AT LEAST.
  • Safe Mode provides the most stable software platform possible, so if it BSODs in Safe Mode you almost certainly have a hardware problem.
Let us know whether you can make it BSOD in Safe Mode. Based on the answer to that we'll have more idea of what to suggest next.

jaredjeya

Under some circumstances the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bugcheck can be caused by a bad driver. You're at that stage where you don't really know whether you have a hardware or a software problem and so I think the most sensible thing for you to do now is to start Windows in Safe Mode.
  • Safe Mode loads a stripped-down version of Windows with only critical services and drivers loaded. No third-party drivers are loaded (except for networking drivers if you start in Safe Mode with networking).
  • You WILL NOT be able to do any useful work in Safe Mode. You will not be able to game for example.
  • Because no third-party drivers are loaded many devices may not work properly (or at all). Your display will be very low resolution for example, because you'll be using the Windows basic display driver.
  • It is VERY IMPORTANT that you try to use the PC/laptop as much as you are able in Safe Mode. It's also important to leave it idle - but do not allow it to sleep, hibernate or shutdown. Your objective is to try and make it BSOD in Safe Mode, so do persevere for as long as you can stand it - a couple of hours AT LEAST.
  • Safe Mode provides the most stable software platform possible, so if it BSODs in Safe Mode you almost certainly have a hardware problem.
Let us know whether you can make it BSOD in Safe Mode. Based on the answer to that we'll have more idea of what to suggest next.
I've been busy and haven't had a chance to do this yet (this is my work computer too and was away for the weekend; will try soon), but I also noticed I'm getting a lot of WHEA-Logger warnings in Event Viewer:

Code:
A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x1D:0x0
Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_06B0&SUBSYS_11161D05&REV_F0
Secondary Device Name:

The device referenced, in plain English, is the "Intel(R) PCI Express Root Port #9 - 06B0" to which my SSD appears to be attached (when I open Device Manager and click View By Connection, it sits under that port).

Here is the full output of the event: https://gist.github.com/jaredjeya/fc9f4a876080e48402d2ccbb762127e7

I suppose when try to run it in Safe Mode, even if it doesn't BSOD, it will be interesting to see if I get these errors.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've been busy and haven't had a chance to do this yet (this is my work computer too and was away for the weekend; will try soon), but I also noticed I'm getting a lot of WHEA-Logger warnings in Event Viewer:

Code:
A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x1D:0x0
Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_06B0&SUBSYS_11161D05&REV_F0
Secondary Device Name:

The device referenced, in plain English, is the "Intel(R) PCI Express Root Port #9 - 06B0" to which my SSD appears to be attached (when I open Device Manager and click View By Connection, it sits under that port).

Here is the full output of the event: https://gist.github.com/jaredjeya/fc9f4a876080e48402d2ccbb762127e7

I suppose when try to run it in Safe Mode, even if it doesn't BSOD, it will be interesting to see if I get these errors.
It’s part of the chipset. If you check device manager do any components have question marks?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You need to run it in Safe Mode, until you do that we're poking in the dark trying to decide whether this is a software or hardware issue.