Installing a new SSD whilst keeping all programs?

I ordered a 120GB Samsung Evo SSD as an upgrade to my desktop to install windows and some programs onto while using my old 1TB hard drive to store all programs and other files I have on, and I was planning to do a disk clone of my current hard drive onto the new SSD with help from this tutorial: http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2014/06/02/migrate-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows , however I seem to have a problem in that I can't cut my current HD down to less than 120GB for me to do the clone.

This means I'd have to get rid of many games I have installed on my HD, which would then take ages to reinstall as my internet is slow, and is something I'd like to avoid doing if at all possible.

I do have the re-installation disk for Windows that was provided when I first got my PC though, and so I was wondering if there is any way I can install Windows onto my new SSD without having to get rid of my programs at all? Would it be possible to just unplug my current HD, plug the SSD in and install windows directly onto it, and then plug my HD back in with all of my programs and things intact and then just delete the Windows file from it?

Any help is appreciated!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. When you install a program, it doesn't just install a file structure but also adds loads of settings into the registry. Are your games installed with Steam?

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. When you install a program, it doesn't just install a file structure but also adds loads of settings into the registry. Are your games installed with Steam?

Yeah they're mostly all downloaded and installed through steam, I have copied to the SteamApps folder to my HDD as a back up as I have read that this will stop me having to redownload as I can just paste this folder back to my new steam folder once I have reinstalled that. It's not ideal but it's much better than downloading all my games again. I also used a program called GameSave Manager to try and back up my saves so hopefully I won't have to start from scratch on things like Skyrim etc.

PaulJJ

Yeah they're mostly all downloaded and installed through steam, I have copied to the SteamApps folder to my HDD as a back up as I have read that this will stop me having to redownload as I can just paste this folder back to my new steam folder once I have reinstalled that. It's not ideal but it's much better than downloading all my games again. I also used a program called GameSave Manager to try and back up my saves so hopefully I won't have to start from scratch on things like Skyrim etc.

I can confirm that the above method worked for me. But you also need to save the steam.exe file in the steam folder as well backup the MY GAMES folder. What I did was

Log out and exit Steam
Navigate to the folder where Steam is installed (by default: C:\Program Files\Steam\)
Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps folder and Steam.exe
Cut and paste your Steam folder to your backup hdd
When you have copied this folder and My Games folder to the new hdd/ssd
Launch Steam
Steam will briefly update and then you will be ready to play
All future game content will be downloaded to the new hdd/ssd

I found some of my steam games were missing save data. But luckily I saved MY GAMES folder as well and all the saved games were in there. Go to Documents on the start bar and click on My Games. Save everything in that folder to backup hdd then copy back onto new hdd/sdd.

When you copy everything back. Simply click on steam.exe in your newly copied steam folder and it should reinitalise the games :)

Last edited: