Installing a second SSD

GarethD

Hi

My current SSD is almost full, my fault for not purchasing a 1gb or 2gb, how straightforward is it to install a 2nd ssd.

I use the HDD to save documents and photo's. I intend to add another 16gb in a couple of weeks.

My specs are below:

Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WiFi (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB AMD RADEON™ RX 5600 XT - HDMI, DP, DX® 12
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)

Thank you.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What's on that SSD? You may be able to move some stuff off to the HDD and save the cost of a new drive.

craighobs

It all hinges on what your case can take and what type of drive you require if you budget permits a bit more info would be nice?

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It's very easy to install a second M.2 SSD: just one screw. The PCS 1TB one would be great.

The other option would be to get a faster drive, such as the 500GB 980 Pro, put that in the primary M.2 slot, install Windows onto that, and use the existing M.2 SSD in the secondary slot for storage. It's a bit weird to have two 500GBish drives, but it would be both cheaper and faster... (This is an upgrade I have planned for some payday in the next few months...)

GarethD

It all hinges on what your case can take and what type of drive you require if you budget permits a bit more info would be nice?
This is the case:

NZXT H511 MID-TOWER GAMING CASE (BLACK)

All good suggestions

Last edited: