Installing an ssd?

Kayness_

Hello!
I don’t know where else to post this, but I am looking for some help or advice on installing my ssd into my lancool 215 case?
I’ve tried to look at the manual and figure it out, but it’s confusing.
I don’t want to ruin the cable management that’s set up, but I don’t see how I can get the ssd in there without bending wires around.

Thanks for any help!

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
What kind of SSD is it? Is it an M.2 one or a 2.5" one that has cables? What motherboard do you have?

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
A 2.5" SSD should be very easy to fit. It will generally mount on the back of the motherboard tray, so you have to remove the back panel. It will need a cable from the power supply (which will either already be there or need to be added from the box that came with the PC) and one to a SATA port on the motherboard itself, normally on the right hand side when looking at the glass panel side. You are unlikely to need to undo any cable management that already exists unless you need to get access to the power connector...

Kayness_

Ah okay, I will have a look-see.
If I were to buy external housing for my ssd and use it like that, it wouldnt cause any issues would it?

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Ah okay, I will have a look-see.
If I were to buy external housing for my ssd and use it like that, it wouldnt cause any issues would it?
No issues, but the performance would probably be less. (Probably. I'm not sure how much or in what ways.)

Kayness_

No issues, but the performance would probably be less. (Probably. I'm not sure how much or in what ways.)
ok excellent! Thank you for your help, this is quite intimidating for me!
From what I can understand, if i were to use external housing for it a usb-c connection gives the same transfer speeds as when connected to a pc, I only want to use it as storage for games etc as the ssd in my pc is just for windows :D

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
ok excellent! Thank you for your help, this is quite intimidating for me!
From what I can understand, if i were to use external housing for it a usb-c connection gives the same transfer speeds as when connected to a pc, I only want to use it as storage for games etc as the ssd in my pc is just for windows :D
Yeah, should be fine. The overall speeds are likely to be fine, it's things like latency and other more "under the hood" aspects that are likely to differ more, but I don't know by how much. For gaming it'll probably be just fine. I wouldn't do it myself, but then I'm a confirmed tinkerer.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Don't forget that your SSD will only perform as fast as the slowest link in your chain:
  • if you use the wrong spec of USB cable (USB1, 2, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 4, etc.) ignoring the physical USB-A or USB-C connector, then that might be your limiting factor
  • if your enclosure uses a poor controller, then that might be your limiting factor
  • if your SSD has a small cache, and you're copying lots/large files, then that may really slow down your speeds
  • if your SSD is really cheap then it may not be much faster than a 2.5" HDD, then that might be your limiting factor
:sneaky: