Installing extra case fans

oodles2do

Bronze Level Poster
I got my new PC from PCS earlier this week and generously PCS sent me an extra case fan a couple of days later as I pointed out my build had one less than the description of my case, which was incorrect on their site.

I screwed the extra fan into the front, and then realised that I didn't know where to plug in the power cable. I followed the other one and it seems as if I need an adaptor cable that I don't have.

Am I missing something obvious? I can see a 4 pin connector on my motherboard, my fan is only a 3 pin. I did some research and it seems like I need a molex connector, I can see a daisy chain of connectors that my other 2 fans are connected to. Should the fan they sent have had this?

Thanks

jerpers

Master
Which case do you have? Does it have a a fan controller built in that the other fans are connected to? Does it have another spare power connector? Failing that, you can plug it into the 4 pin header on your mobo and use software like Fan xpert to set up a profile for it.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
You should be able to plug the 3 pin fan into one of the 4 pin chassis fan points on the motherboard. The extra pin is just to enable PWM on PWM fans I believe.

Which case was it, Nzxt Phantom 240?

oodles2do

Bronze Level Poster
I didn't put a fan controller in on the configurator. Yes I've got the nzxt 240. The 4 pin connector I can see is at the top of my motherboard so it's a bit of a stretch for the front fan and looks like it's designed for the top fan. It's the only 4 pin I can see on the board

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Some cases have fan configurators built in (usually just a little switch that takes fans between 5, 7 and 12v), and case fans are connected into cables attached to that, which has a connector (molex or sata) that you use to connect it to the PSU. If the case doesn't have one of those (having a quick look I don't believe it does), then what we said about using a mobo fan connector should still apply. :)

If this is the right mobo (Asus H110M-D D3), 1-18 of the manual should show you where that is:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb...D_D3_WEB.pdf?_ga=1.9084023.3121180.1468599334

Last edited:

oodles2do

Bronze Level Poster
Last edited:

jerpers

Master
Like this

4pinvc9.jpg

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'm not sure it gives you a choice. There's usually a little bit of plastic sticking out above the motherboard fan connector pins that you need to line up between the two plastic ridges that I assume are on the fan plug. The manual makes it look like it's the rightmost 3 pins.

Edit: Beaten to it :)

oodles2do

Bronze Level Poster
I'm not sure it gives you a choice. There's usually a little bit of plastic sticking out above the motherboard fan connector pins that you need to line up between the two plastic ridges that I assume are on the fan plug. The manual makes it look like it's the rightmost 3 pins.

Edit: Beaten to it :)

Done it :).

It was the right most 3, but only because mine was in a different orientation to Jerpers'. Thanks for your help.