Installing H100

crisis uk

Silver Level Poster
I've been contemplating overclocking my CPU (nothin ridiculous but enough to make a difference) and am a bit skeptical about using my spire Gemini that I got when building my rig through PCS. Now what I was looking into was getting a H100 as it seems to be a right out of the box installation. What I want to know is how difficult these things are to fit. I've watched a few videos online and it doesn't seem to bad but I though I would see if anyone has any first hand experience with this.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
You will find plenty of videos on YouTube including the ones from corsair. I installed an h80i and it was pretty straight forward however you may need to take the motherboard out of the case to fit the backplate bracket for the h100i. If you are going to have a modest overclock on your CPU the h100 seems overkill.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I've been contemplating overclocking my CPU (nothin ridiculous but enough to make a difference) and am a bit skeptical about using my spire Gemini that I got when building my rig through PCS. Now what I was looking into was getting a H100 as it seems to be a right out of the box installation. What I want to know is how difficult these things are to fit. I've watched a few videos online and it doesn't seem to bad but I though I would see if anyone has any first hand experience with this.

A little side question, if you don't mind, have you ever repasted the Spire Gemini cooler? How was it, how did you do it, and what are your temps like now? (If you're able to tell me)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
a few points to note,

- make sure you get the H100I, which is the newer and improved version.
- I know Keynes says he thinks the H100I is overkill for a modest OC. I don't, Overclocking any component is going to output alot more heat and having the one of the best 240mm AIO liquid coolers will certainly help to keep the temperatures down. The cooler your CPU, the more stable your OC will be temps wise.
- But like keynes says, you will probably need to remove the motherboard from the system to install the cpu back plate (because the haf x doesn't have a massive cpu cutout) So you are going to have to take off the spire gemini backplate and install the one that comes with the H100I.

I think Corfate installed his own H100, I'd try and get him to post.

Corfate

Author Level
It's a piece of pie really mate!

Just clean off your old thermal paste with the proper cleaners, purify the surface too.

- Decide if you want push pull, or just push, or just pull
- place the rad in the case, and screw it in (The screws are pretty self explanatory. The long ones go through the fans, the smaller ones go through the case etc
- install the backplate. Again, self explanatory. common sense will dictate which bolts go where. (Leave on the little plastic X on the backplate. It's there for a reason to stop shorts in the rig!
- pull offthe protective cover on the pump and place the pump onto the CPU, screw it in going in the X pattern
- then plug in the fan cables to the top of the h100 block
- plug in the h100 pump to the cpu header on the mobo

Sooortteedddd!

crisis uk

Silver Level Poster
A little side question, if you don't mind, have you ever repasted the Spire Gemini cooler? How was it, how did you do it, and what are your temps like now? (If you're able to tell me)

I've never pasted/repasted anything before, other than sandwiches. My current temps seem to be hitting 68C max...that's on Crysis 2, Ultra settings, 2560x1440

a few points to note,

- make sure you get the H100I, which is the newer and improved version.
- I know Keynes says he thinks the H100I is overkill for a modest OC. I don't, Overclocking any component is going to output alot more heat and having the one of the best 240mm AIO liquid coolers will certainly help to keep the temperatures down. The cooler your CPU, the more stable your OC will be temps wise.
- But like keynes says, you will probably need to remove the motherboard from the system to install the cpu back plate (because the haf x doesn't have a massive cpu cutout) So you are going to have to take off the spire gemini backplate and install the one that comes with the H100I.

I think Corfate installed his own H100, I'd try and get him to post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vk6XfI4BpE

about 2min 50sec in on that video I think he says that he didn't have to remove his mobo so fit the back plate...can anyone confirm this as I have the same case.

Also, another thing, I watched a video of Linus, from NCIX, on youtube installing the H100 and he shows that on that certain motherboards (or is it a CPU) you just screw the mounting screws onto the mobo (almost like a front plate) instead of screwing them into the back plate ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3myiMEW3EM about 4mins in)

Does anyone know if this would be the case with my mobo/CPU or would I need to use the backplate supplied? (mobo and CPU are in my sig)

Thanks

tom_gr7

Life Serving
you may not have to remove the mobo to install the h100 backplate, its probably quite small. But you may have to remove the mobo to remove the air coolers back plate. Take of your rear panel and check.

crisis uk

Silver Level Poster
Ah ok, didn't realise my cooler may have a backplate. Is I usually standard for aftermarket coolers to be attached via a backplate?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
about 2min 50sec in on that video I think he says that he didn't have to remove his mobo so fit the back plate...can anyone confirm this as I have the same case.
I have the same case as you do and I was unable to reach the backplate from the side panel.
Does anyone know if this would be the case with my mobo/CPU or would I need to use the backplate supplied? (mobo and CPU are in my sig)
I don't think the backplate for the spire will fit the corsair CPU cooler, I think you will need to remove the cables attach to the motherboard, remove the motherboard, remove the front CPU bracket and backplate and clean any thermal paste residual and repaste before adding the CPU cooler.
My understanding is that the better CPU coolers like the h100 will only benefit the user when you are having a singnificant increase in clock speed. If I overclock the i5-3570k at 4.1 or 4.2 I think the difference between a decent air cooler and the h100 temperature wise is not going to be significant. When I was playing with my bios settings with my CPU the problems I encountered were more related to the memory timings, voltage settings , etc and not the cooling of the CPU.

I could also be completely wrong but just my opinion, I think the OP could just repaste his CPU and/or change the CPU cooler fans and see how it goes. Looking at your spec, temperatures and case I don't see the need for an h100 unless it is for aesthetic reasons.

Last edited:

steaky360

Ah ok, didn't realise my cooler may have a backplate. Is I usually standard for aftermarket coolers to be attached via a backplate?

Typically :). most coolers are attached with some kind of backplate, mainly because it stops the often heavy cooler from bending the motherboard around the vulnerable CPU area. Also, manufacturers want to make the coolers suitable for several types of CPU sockets and so different back plates/mounting arrangements are required.

crisis uk

Silver Level Poster
Another thing I was wondering about is the fan configuration. Is this the thing referred to a push/pull configuration? Where the fans underneath the radiator push the air through it and the fans on top pull it out?

My question is this. With the HAF X there is obviously the two 200mm exhaust fans on top, could I substitute the 120mm fans on the H100 for my current 200mm fans on top of my case?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
you could keep the 200mm fans there, then install the h100I below the fans, then put the 120mm fans on the h100. I've seen this done a few times on the haf x.

edit - infact, dont do this, go for either just the two 120mm fans or four 120mm fans.

OR go for a h80I and keep the two 200mm fans in exhaust.

Last edited:

steaky360

If you installed the H100 as per tom's advice above then it would be in push/pull :)

EDIT: Sorry misread your post about push/pull/pull. You probably could but I would doubt it would help, infact it might actually hinder the performance of either the fans connected to the cooler or the exhaust fans on the case. I'd recommend following tom's advice for a push/pull config.

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
If you installed the H100 as per tom's advice above then it would be in push/pull :)

EDIT: Sorry misread your post about push/pull/pull. You probably could but I would doubt it would help, infact it might actually hinder the performance of either the fans connected to the cooler or the exhaust fans on the case. I'd recommend following tom's advice for a push/pull config.

yeah it would be best to go for push pull with just the 120mm fans. Like you say, 200mm fans in pull might hinder the performance of the 120mm fans in push. As the 120mm's will push more air than the 200mm's can remove. This may create a kind of turbulence inside the rad fins. So yeah, i take it back. IF you want push pull go for all the same 120mm fans.

crisis uk

Silver Level Poster
Damn, I sent some 200mm fans away to get some green LEDs installed. Hmm, if I have to remove them I might have to get some green strip lighting or something. I read somewhere that when looking at radiator fans that I have to pay attention to the static pressure on the fans. Does anyone know if there are any green lit led fans that would fit the H100i and still be rate quite highly?