Installing Windows 11 - Anything I should know?

TheVizGuy

Hi!

I bought my PC from here last year and have yet to update to Windows 11. Is there anything I should be aware of before doing so? Specs below....

Thanks guys

Case
LIAN LI LANCOOL 215 GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WiFi (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2200 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 240 High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Firefox™

steaky360

I guess its worth still noting that Windows 11 is by all accounts still fairly "beta" (perhaps not officially, but certainly from reports I've read here and elsewhere there are still a lot of bugs).

TheVizGuy

I guess its worth still noting that Windows 11 is by all accounts still fairly "beta" (perhaps not officially, but certainly from reports I've read here and elsewhere there are still a lot of bugs).
This is really what I am worried about hence why I have left it so far. That's fine, I'll leave it for the time being then in that case!

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I agree with streaky360.

Unless there’s a feature of W11 that you desperately need, I’d hold off until the bugs are worked out - especially on an AMD system - although as with any OS, there’ll always be edge-cases where the bug is never tracked down.

Ash

This is really what I am worried about hence why I have left it so far. That's fine, I'll leave it for the time being then in that case!
What do you use your PC for? If it's nothing crazy or majorly important then I don't see why you'd have any problems on W11. The AMD issues were ironed out ages ago in an update. I've been on W11 since release and I've had 0 issues. It's estimated that W11 has as many users as Mac OS currently, so I'd say it's pretty safe to use as a home desktop OS.

I keep seeing people on here recommend against W11 but I've yet to see an actual credible reason why.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I keep seeing people on here recommend against W11 but I've yet to see an actual credible reason why.
There is still a very long list:

A lot of applications do not support it still
Ongoing Memory leak bug causing major slow downs generally: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-11-memory-leak-bug/
General right click menu issues: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-11-file-explorer-conext-menu-bug/
Random empty folder generation in windows explorer: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-11-bug-thousands-empty-folders/
Colour rendering issues causing erroneous colour outputs: https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/...ws-11-issue-promises-fix-in-a-future-release/
Still ongoing speed issues on NVME's only reaching half speeds which was supposed to be fixed just before Christmas in KB5008215, but the fix created more bugs and didn't address the speed issue for a lot of users still

To name just a few, there are literally hundreds still.

I'm not saying you're not having a great experience, but you're one of the lucky few. That's how bugs work, they usually only affect a subset of people.

steaky360

What do you use your PC for? If it's nothing crazy or majorly important then I don't see why you'd have any problems on W11. The AMD issues were ironed out ages ago in an update. I've been on W11 since release and I've had 0 issues. It's estimated that W11 has as many users as Mac OS currently, so I'd say it's pretty safe to use as a home desktop OS.

To follow on from what Spyder said, conversely to there being (in your opinion) no credible reasons cited to not go for W11, there's also no good reason I can see to 'rush' and move to W11 at the moment.

My initial reply (for example) wasn't to point out that W11 isn't necessarily going to be a super smooth experience just yet. If you're (royal you, not you specifically ofc) savvy enough to work through them, are aware of the potential issues and you think thats acceptable then why not go for it and give it a shot.

I'd always opt for a bit of caution, but that's all it is, caution. I don't think anyone here would say 'don't do' I think the most reasonable thing is - there are risks involved with going for W11 that don't currently exist with W10 so each person should weigh this up when considering the options.

techguyone

Silver Level Poster
The only things I've found (so far) to not work on 11 are video editing suites, everything else, games, office, vnc, oracle virtual box, photoshop etc all just work, my 11 build is more stable than my old PC's 10 built on top of 8.1. I'm yet to have a crash.

techguyone

Silver Level Poster
I couldn't get Adobe Premiere to work, nor Filmora, Openshot does though in a pinch. I'm sure given a bit of time the others will too. Unclear if an AMD CPU is contributing.