Intel 10th Gen Desktop processor line up

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
For those that are interested, the upcoming 10th Series Intel desktop CPU's, they do require a new socket despite being the exact same chipset, these are just rebranded and overclocked 9000 series chips.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Some third party reviews of i9 10900k and i510600k

As most assumed, the stated “thermal velocity boost” is a myth, and even higher boost clocks are not achieved under 75c

The 10900 is the only valid CPU left in Intels arsenal, but the only usecase it appeals to is competitive gaming where you’re reducing graphical settings to minimum to achieve crazy FPS.

Any AMD equivalent is going to max out the screen exactly the same as the intels if you’ve configured your build correctly, and the added £100 premium for the intels just doesn’t make sense.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Love the Nexus reviews. Not sure if I'm bias simply because I agree with the conclusions haha.
I love Steve, he's an absolute legend. He's incredibly clever, like crazy clever.

I think GamersNexus along with Hardware Unboxed give the most thorough accurate test environments.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
I love Steve, he's an absolute legend. He's incredibly clever, like crazy clever.

I think GamersNexus along with Hardware Unboxed give the most thorough accurate test environments.
I've subscribed to both, think the Nexus channel is a bit above my head but willing to learn. I do enjoy watching Linus Tech Tips, ok he is a bit cheesey at times and likes to plug his clothing store but they have reviewed the 10th gen line up and and as long as you have some decent cooling you might be ok.

The AMD chips still seem to blow the Intel's out of the water for multi-threaded operations.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
think the Nexus channel is a bit above my head but willing to learn.
He does go very very in depth, when I first started watching I didn’t understand half of the graphs or measurements but you do start to pick it up.

I love Linus as well, he’s an absolute star, very genuine and I really appreciate that. I love his store segues, they make me giggle!

but they have reviewed the 10th gen line up and and as long as you have some decent cooling you might be ok.

Most of the reviews I’ve watched have recommended an AIO 360mm cooler as an absolute minimum which is just insane! That’s what, another £150 to the build cost on top of the already insane Z490 board costs plus high end 850w PSU to be able to provide enough power.

The price of an effective build is going to be probably near £500 dearer than an AMD counterpart as you have to buy top spec components just for it to be able to run even close to normal.

Specs aside and practicalities at the forefront, big show stopper for me!

Last edited:

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
He does go very very in depth, when I first started watching I didn’t understand half of the graphs or measurements but you do start to pick it up.

I love Linus as well, he’s an absolute star, very genuine and I really appreciate that. I love his store segues, they make me giggle!

Most of the reviews I’ve watched have recommended an AIO 360mm cooler as an absolute minimum which is just insane! That’s what, another £150 to the build cost on top of the already insane Z490 board costs plus high end 850w PSU to be able to provide enough power.

The price of an effective build is going to be probably near £500 dearer than an AMD counterpart as you have to buy top spec components just for it to be able to run even close to normal.

Specs aside and practicalities at the forefront, big show stopper for me!
In a desktop you might have half a chance to tame these 10th gen chips, but in a laptop, several sources actually say that due to thermal throttling there probably wont be any noticeable difference over the 9th gen chips, especially the monster 10900k.

However the new i5 10600k (probably got that wrong) does actually seem like an improvement, for gaming anyway.

Think i have watched almost all of Linus's videos for the last 6 months (there's years worth of vids available across all of his channels!)., enmjoy them all lol

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
My only gripe with Linus is I'm beginning to think he's actually a bit of a sell out. He seems genuine of course, but what he says and what he does are often 2 different things (most current example is AIO Liquid vs Air discussion on here). He recommends air but never uses it..... wonder why.........?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My only gripe with Linus is I'm beginning to think he's actually a bit of a sell out. He seems genuine of course, but what he says and what he does are often 2 different things (most current example is AIO Liquid vs Air discussion on here). He recommends air but never uses it..... wonder why.........?
I have noticed that especially recently. But as you say, I’ve not ever seen him do an air cooled build other than to demo a new air product, but when doing his home builds or any giveaways, they are always AIO’s. Did strike me as odd.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
He's a big fan of the Noctua cooling system though, but agree I cant remember a build of his that isnt water cooled in some fashion

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
He's a big fan of the Noctua cooling system though....

This is my point really...... is he?

I'm a big fan of Noctua, they are absolutely fantastic. I genuinely believe Air Coolers are a thing of the past though, when it comes to high end cooling.

Stock air coolers with AMDs aren't THAT far off what the Noctua can produce over long spells. The big plus with Noctua was always the noise. Now with the ML fans as standard in corsair, they cannot compare. The price range of low end PCS AIO water coolers just makes it a strange place to be unfortunately.

My experience with air coolers vs water coolers is similar to what is posted by Linus in short term..... over long term usage, in a case with the side panel on... it's not even close. This is where my eyebrow raises as I always wonder if he actually closes the case to show real world..... or leaves it open to prevent heat soak. You can guess which side my money is going on ;)