Intel 9700K Clock Speed

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Ok, Ok, I know I'm probably in for a kicking here, but does anyone know why I never see any of my cores ever go above 4.7 GHz? Checked with CPUID, HWMonitor and even Task Manager and they all show ~4.6-4.7?

I've looked into the Bios and Control Center and it looks like it's setup to run single core boost to 4.9? Core 2/3 boost to 4.8 and all core to 4.7 (which i see all the time) Power management is on max settings/power plan

I know we are literally talking a tiny delta here, but the machine has been like this since new. Will it be down to a crappy bit of silicon? No issues with temps either, sat at 40 ish degrees. Not even remotely thinking of trying to get it returned as I know there is nothing PCS can do, just wondered if there was a setting that hasnt been enabled or something

Cheers

Garry

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok, Ok, I know I'm probably in for a kicking here, but does anyone know why I never see any of my cores ever go above 4.7 GHz? Checked with CPUID, HWMonitor and even Task Manager and they all show ~4.6-4.7?

I've looked into the Bios and Control Center and it looks like it's setup to run single core boost to 4.9? Core 2/3 boost to 4.8 and all core to 4.7 (which i see all the time) Power management is on max settings/power plan

I know we are literally talking a tiny delta here, but the machine has been like this since new. Will it be down to a crappy bit of silicon? No issues with temps either, sat at 40 ish degrees. Not even remotely thinking of trying to get it returned as I know there is nothing PCS can do, just wondered if there was a setting that hasnt been enabled or something

Cheers

Garry
Remember that's a desktop CPU in a laptop, so it will be heavily power limited and temp limited. You say it's sitting at 40c, but that's on idle, under load it will be mid 90's unless it's been undervolted.

Basically, both power and temp levels required to reach Intels stated "boost clocks" (which are inherent phalacies anyway only available in optimum conditions).

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Remember that's a desktop CPU in a laptop, so it will be heavily power limited and temp limited. You say it's sitting at 40c, but that's on idle, under load it will be mid 90's unless it's been undervolted.

Basically, both power and temp levels required to reach Intels stated "boost clocks" (which are inherent phalacies anyway only available in optimum conditions).
Thanks for replying mate, totally forgot about the desktop CPU in a laptop thing... Oh yeah it takes off to 85-90 degrees under load but oddly the fans are never maxxed out, which I'm happy with.

Just thought i might tick over to 4.9 on a single core once lol, it's happy at 4.7 all cores so nowt to moan about