Intel DH 4000 (Optimus IV) refresh rate?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I had a small issue last night connecting my Optimus IV to a TV via HDMI, it didn't work (though it has in the past). I used a VGA cable instead so it wasn't too much of a problem. I upgraded the HD 4000 driver this morning but on looking through the HD 4000 Graphics Control Panel I saw that the refresh rate is set to 59p Hz and that raises two questions:

1. What does the p signify (in the 50p Hz)?

2. I understand that HDMI uses 60Hz only and 60p Hz is a selectable option in the Graphics Control Panel, so should I switch to 60p Hz and will that be ok for the laptop display? (It seemed to work ok when I just tried it).

Thanks guys (and ladies). :)

feetofclay

im a bit of a noob so please be nice! :)
but i think the p stands for progressive format. its the step up from interlaced format as i understand it. and that its the full picture being refreshed instead of it being interlaced which is just half that(as far as my telly monitor knowledge goes). not sure about question 2 but i hope someone else will know the answer, because now i want to know also!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
im a bit of a noob so please be nice! :)
but i think the p stands for progressive format. its the step up from interlaced format as i understand it. and that its the full picture being refreshed instead of it being interlaced which is just half that(as far as my telly monitor knowledge goes). not sure about question 2 but i hope someone else will know the answer, because now i want to know also!

So 60p Hz is just 60 Hz then, yes?

Thanks for the help and welcome! :)

feetofclay

as far as i understand it, yes.
sounds like quite a sweet setup on that boat of yours! how big a telly have you managed to squeeze in your floating castle?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
60p Hz is as feetofclay said, 60 fps but the whole image gets refereshed every cycle.

As far as 59 vs 60 Hz is concerned they are more often than not the same thing. I don't have a clue where the link is, but I saw it somewhere that 59 and 60Hz both end up being output at 59.94(or something close) So 59 or 60Hz shouldn't make a difference as the drivers correct for it... Its to do with how some TV equipment reports its refresh rate or something.

But I cant help any more with your your tv aint getting a signal...

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
60p Hz is as feetofclay said, 60 fps but the whole image gets refereshed every cycle.

As far as 59 vs 60 Hz is concerned they are more often than not the same thing. I don't have a clue where the link is, but I saw it somewhere that 59 and 60Hz both end up being output at 59.94(or something close) So 59 or 60Hz shouldn't make a difference as the drivers correct for it... Its to do with how some TV equipment reports its refresh rate or something.

But I cant help any more with your your tv aint getting a signal...

Thanks for that. It's actually not my TV, we do weekly presentations in a local bar and I was trying to hook up to the big TV in there. I've connected to it via HDMI in the past but I've obviously changed something. I'll set the refresh rate to 60 Hz and experiment with resolutions.

In any case, a bar is the best place to be working on computer problems....