Intel i7-8700K CPU Majorly Overheating + Causing Stuttering/Mini Freezes

DarkPaladin

Enthusiast
About a month ago, I decided to apply the Arctic MX 5 thermal paste to my CPU and GPU to my laptop as my laptop was over a year old at this point and the temperatures were starting to increase to noticeable differences. Thankfully, this re-paste went well and my laptop's temperatures decreased on both components to a decent level (idle temps between 30-40 degrees on both, with 60-80 maximum in high-end games).

However, while playing some games, I noticed my CPU's temperature began to increase to the point where my laptop was throttling the performance to keep it cool, resulting in stuttering during gameplay. I decided to re-apply the thermal paste and now my CPU's temperature has went completely out of control up to 50 idle and 90-100 degrees in most applications/games. I repeated this process multiple times in order to deal with issue but nothing seems to be working.

What I've tried so far:
- Monitored the temps in both HWMonitor and Speccy, revealing the CPU temps to be way too high while everything else is running cooler than usual
- Re-applying Arctic MX 5 thermal paste multiple times
- Ensuring the heatsink is fully seated on the CPU
- Purchasing thermal grizzly kryonat on Amazon to see if a different paste will provide better performance

As of right now, the only thing that seems to keep my temps low is to take the bottom cover of my laptop off and use a cooling pad to directly cool the CPU from below. However, this bizarrely causes my FPS to drops in-game so it isn't really a solution.

I was hoping to ask for some advice here before contemplating an RMA (1 parts warranty expired with 2 additional years of labour warranty+ combined with COVID + Christmas delivery times mean it'll probably take 6+ weeks to get my laptop returned). I'd appreciate literally any advice here to get my temps down.

Specs:
Chassis & DisplayOctane Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700k (3.7GHz) 12MB Cache
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE 7mm SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 128MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
1st M.2 SSD Drive250GB WD Black™ SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD (up to 3100MB/s R | 1600MB/s W)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor1 x 330W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
BatteryOctane Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (82WH)
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound CardIntel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ WIRELESS-AC 1550 M.2 GAMING 802.11AC + BLUETOOTH 5.0

DarkPaladin

Enthusiast
How much paste are you applying and what method?
I followed the pea-sized method on Arctic's on YouTube channel:
After applying the pastes, the GPU temps were running 29-30 degrees idle and 65 degrees on ultra settings on new games, while the CPU is running at 50+ degrees idle and skyrocketing to 90+ degrees during load.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I followed the pea-sized method on Arctic's on YouTube channel:
After applying the pastes, the GPU temps were running 29-30 degrees idle and 65 degrees on ultra settings on new games, while the CPU is running at 50+ degrees idle and skyrocketing to 90+ degrees during load.
Have you fiddled with voltages or overclocked at all or is everything stock?

DarkPaladin

Enthusiast
Here's 2 screenshots from HWMonitor showing the temps when idle. Even when I have fans on full power it doesn't really make much of a different unfortunately

temps 1.png

temps 2.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Immediately after opening a game of Gears 5, I took a screenshot and the load temps with fans maxed out reached 100 degrees
View attachment 20216
Ooo, yeah, that's not good at all.

And you're sure the heatsink is on properly? Did you retighten in the correct order?

Those temps would suggest a paste or heatsink issue to me, they're way out of control.

DarkPaladin

Enthusiast
Ooo, yeah, that's not good at all.

And you're sure the heatsink is on properly? Did you retighten in the correct order?

Those temps would suggest a paste or heatsink issue to me, they're way out of control.
What would be the correct order? Does it matter to the extent of causing that much of a heating issue?

Also, one of the screws got stuck in the heatsink connector pin so all I can do for that is screw it in tightly. The heatsink seems to be fitted on the CPU + GPU perfectly. Unfortunately I can't take the heatsinks off seperately since they're both connected (same chassiz but the image is from Google):
2-P1122297.jpg

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
That photo shows the order
What would be the correct order? Does it matter to the extent of causing that much of a heating issue?

Also, one of the screws got stuck in the heatsink connector pin so all I can do for that is screw it in tightly. The heatsink seems to be fitted on the CPU + GPU perfectly. Unfortunately I can't take the heatsinks off seperately since they're both connected (same chassiz but the image is from Google): View attachment 20217

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Also, one of the screws got stuck in the heatsink connector pin so all I can do for that is screw it in tightly. The heatsink seems to be fitted on the CPU + GPU perfectly. Unfortunately I can't take the heatsinks off seperately since they're both connected (same chassiz but the image is from Google): View attachment 20217
The order is on the label.

It matters as otherwise there won't be an even pressure on the heatsink and it will likely leave an air gap on one or two corners.

The idea is to screw them in order just until there's a tiny bit of bite, then proceed with a couple more turns in order. No need to overtighten. onc

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I would suggest cleaning it again and repasting as the excess heat may have compromised the paste.

I'd use thermal grizzly, it's far better than MX stuff.

Use a little more than you have done just to be safe, excess won't cause any damage as it's non conductive. Just be ready with a bit of kitchen paper to clean any excess that comes out the sides.

DarkPaladin

Enthusiast
The order is on the label.

It matters as otherwise there won't be an even pressure on the heatsink and it will likely leave an air gap on one or two corners.

The idea is to screw them in order just until there's a tiny bit of bite, then proceed with a couple more turns in order. No need to overtighten. onc
When taking it off to unscrew them again, would it be advisable to do another repaste or just take the screws out and do it in the correct order?

DarkPaladin

Enthusiast
I would suggest cleaning it again and repasting as the excess heat may have compromised the paste.

I'd use thermal grizzly, it's far better than MX stuff.

Use a little more than you have done just to be safe, excess won't cause any damage as it's non conductive. Just be ready with a bit of kitchen paper to clean any excess that comes out the sides.
Alright, I've ordered the Grizzly paste and it should arrive in a few days hopefully. I'll update this thread once I get it, add the screws in the correct order, and hopefully my temps get sorted out (fingers crossed).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Alright, I've ordered the Grizzly paste and it should arrive in a few days hopefully. I'll update this thread once I get it, add the screws in the correct order, and hopefully my temps get sorted out (fingers crossed).
They may still be relatively high but that’s normal on that chassis, once we get them under control, we can then apply a gentle undervolt to get them much lower without affecting performance.

DarkPaladin

Enthusiast
They may still be relatively high but that’s normal on that chassis, once we get them under control, we can then apply a gentle undervolt to get them much lower without affecting performance.
Also, I apologise for going off-topic, but I've been visiting this forum on & off since I first purchased a machine from PCS 4+ years ago. Every time I've ever had a problem that I couldn't fix on my own, I could pretty much always depend on you to have the answer to my tech issues. Just wanted to give a massive thanks for your help over the years!