Intel optane futur

antfer742

Quick question!

I was about to order the new pc, but with the lack of stock of the SM961 m2 drive, would it be better to 'make do' with a standard ssd and hdd combo for now and look to purchasing an optane based drive later on when released?

Despite doing some research what will the optane products do? Will it be used as a boot/app drive or is it an add on to a fast m2 nvme?

Thanks.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Intel CEO Brian Krzanich said sample Optane products will ship to more testers next year, and that “it’s really a 2018 ramp for that product,” according to a transcript of an October earnings call, posted on Seeking Alpha. http://www.pcworld.com/article/3147...-raises-questions-about-launch-and-focus.html
I'm no expert, that's just one of the first things I found on google so it could be way off the mark. But I haven't noticed much drooling over Optane yet so would imagine it's a good way off.

I'd probably just get a PM961 M.2 drive instead, which is still much faster than a sata SSD and the Intel 600p, while not being any more expensive than the 850 Evo in the PCS configurator.