Intel vs. AMD for World of Warcraft?

TheCat

I have been reading quite a bit about how Intel processors tends to beat AMD by a long shot when it comes to playing World of Warcraft. The two processors I’m comparing are:

AMD FX-6300 Six Core
Intel Core i5-4440

Can anyone verify this?
What about more demanding games such as Skyrim, which would be the better choice then?

Any help is appreciated! :)

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
The i5 will perform better for gaming, the FX-6300 will normally come out on top for productivity tasks though (video editing, etc).

I personally would go for the i5. Games like Skyrim will rely more on your GPU than CPU.

kruppsy

Master
The i5 is the better processor, but they aren't the same price point. Better comparisons can be made with the 6300 and i3 (both £90). They are very, very close, it also depends on the game. In this instance I would pick the 6300 though purely as it has more cores.

Comparing the i5 with the 8350 might be fairer, however, intel wins here also, as keynes' link demonstrates.

The good thing about the fx cpu's is you can overclock them to at least bring them a little closer, but ultimately, if you have the funds, intel is the way to go right now for a gaming rig. But it does hugely depend on your budget.

Things may change, I hope they do.

Last edited:

mishra

Rising Star
I would get a cheaper CPU and invest the difference in better graphic card - as that what ultimately will give you better FPS.