Intel vt-x and vt-d on Vortex 3

Dotnetwizard

Bronze Level Poster
Hi, I have taken delivery of my Vortex 3 laptop and cannot see any options to enable hardware virtualization in the BIOS. I am a developer and will be using the laptop with Oracle VirtualBox and need the vt-x feature enabled in the BIOS.

Running the HWiNFO64 tool shows that the CPU does indeed support it, but is disabled. Does anyone know if PCS can provide BIOS updates to enable this feature? If not, is this something I can do myself?

Dotnetwizard

Bronze Level Poster
Nobody? Are PCS able to help with turning on these BIOS features as I cannot use VirtualBox as it's complaining that vt-x is locked in the BIOS.

Dotnetwizard

Bronze Level Poster
After some extensive research and testing I conclude that Intel VT-x is effectively locked down on my Vortex III.

I have got the Intel i7-3720QM processor, which DOES support VT-x and VT-d, but I am uncertain whether the HM77 Express chipset actually supports vt-x/VT-d.

There are no Intel Virtualization options available in the BIOS and there appears to be no way to turn this feature on.

I have even visited the CLEVO website and there are no BIOS updates in their download section.

Last edited:

Dotnetwizard

Bronze Level Poster
Bit of an update: After some digging around (and translating) on a German web site I have successfully managed to enable VT-x. It turned out CLEVO had made an oversight and hadn't correctly released a BIOS for VT-x support for Ivy Bridge.

jaspan

Dotnetwizard. I totally agree with you. I am in the same boat and need VTx enabled on Vortex III LE 15 inch. On the Vortex III LE edition, the only difference is missing the illuminated keyboard and a step down to 1GB Nvidia GTX 660M GPU. Trying to find the bios for Clevo p150em. Any help/advice much appreciated...

Dotnetwizard

Bronze Level Poster
Trying to find the bios for Clevo p150em. Any help/advice much appreciated...

You can download the latest BIOS from CLEVO themselves at ftp.clevo.com.tw/allbios/ and you should find a directory for your model number.

Last edited: