Intel's i9, Turbo Boost Monitor software?

Hello all,
perhaps this thread has been discussed in past already, I'd check the history but could not find anything relevant to it,
my question, does anyone has experience with the i9 / correct turbo boost monitoring software, if required or not and which one?
In past I owned some rigs (AW-HP-LV) with i7 of various generations, in all of those I did use the Intels Turbo boost monitor software V2.6, flawless.
I had the point that in order to use the second step/ turbo mode eg 3.6 to 5.0 ghz, this intel tool is required, activating the mode and giving you an on screen performance of the CPU, actually a nice little gadget.
Now it is i9 for the first time (not yet in my hands), I assume that the monitor software V2.6 does not work anymore on this CPU? Intel's sites / links to it are mainly abandoned but the software still can be found on other sites like CHIP etc.
Last version I have seen has been V3.0, non-installer, zipped, yet not tested.
Some say that the turbo boost always is activated (lenovo forum), some other say it is required to install this monitor tool to activate it at all, on my past HP Envy Laptop I have seen a vast performance boost when installing this gadget.
Would appreciate any feedback to clear the fog.
Thanks, Markus

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It will be activated by default on any PCS laptop, but it’s likely you’ll run into thermal throttling without applying an undervolt with something like throttlestop or intel xtu

You don’t need any software to enable turbo boost.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It will be activated by default on any PCS laptop, but it’s likely you’ll run into thermal throttling without applying an undervolt.

You don’t need any software to enable turbo boost.
thanks much, short and efficient = all clear, I am going after the undervolt tools which you have recommended.
Cheers,
Markus
if you need any help with it, do post back, there are quite a few members who’ve applied really successful undervolts.

Any help is appreciated as this topic of properly using the XTE / throttle stop gadgets is sort of uncharted water for me, thanks much in advance!
First look on my old lenovo W510 travel book

that is a great support, thanks again, I just ordered a high end laptop with PCS for the first time, I had a few questions and already feeling well supported from the group of pro's, can't find like this with AW or HP, 5 out of 5!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
When undervolting on a laptop I found this helpful:

Remember that your CPU is different, and even one 9900k will not behave the same as the next 9900k.

Whatever you do, do it gradually, in small increments. Test between increments. And remember that what is stable for one task may not be stable for another. Sometimes settings that are stable in benchmarks aren't stable in real games.

@Oussebon, I do appreciate your kind help once more, as same as you did in my other post already. Until now I only have used i7 cores, up to the 6th generation, so all this to be expected with an i9 is newland for me but a quite interesting topic too. I took your linked guides which are sounding promising to pass over that issue. Am eager to see the performance of my new Lap-rig as same to meet the discussed issues. Wondering a bit why it is like that and also why Intel didn't secure the thermal issues (only in laptops?) when using the turbo mode eg with an integrated automatic performance regulator along with an overheat limiter and/or under-voltage regulator. Sure thing that now I will learn something more and soon re-posting again.
Thanks once more to all,
Cheers,
Markus

debiruman665

Enthusiast
I suggest you use XTU instead of throttlestop, its a bit more beginner friendly

I've done extensive experimentation with the octane and the i9, if you could let me know what you use your laptop for I can put your settings into the ballpark of what you are looking for.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I use the Clevo software to tweak the voltage of the system. It effectively writes your BIOS too so that the settings are permanent.

Clevo control center is the software. When installed correctly you will have a CPU icon in your system tray.

Once opened you simply adjust the "CPU Voltage" settings. For simplicity, leave it on adaptive and set it to -100. Everything else at default. Run a few benches and monitor temps. Then try -110, -120, etc until you find instability then pull it back a notch.

I managed -180mv on my 6700k at default settings. Currently running a -60mv setting with a 4.4ghz overclock.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Just to state the bleeding obvious, the 6700k is a CPU with half as many cores as a 9900k. Overclocking a 9900k to 200MHz over its single core boost in a laptop chassis would be a very brave thing to do! :) And I don't think that's being recommended here

@debiruman665, you are right, I did try the XTU in past already, not for tuning but rather having a view onto my current specs/ temps, along with this tiny gadget 'real temp' as well using a desktop gadget for the GPU temperature, throttle stop might do well but on the first view it really looks a bit confusing but others did it as well, time for some new experiments :cool: ,FYI - I am planning to use the new lap-rig for gaming, lots of modified ones which are good in chewing resources, watching BD movies, internet communication but none like Modding, video or photo enhancing nor huge databases along to anything, means mainly it goes for the standard multimedia usage.

@The_Scotster, thanks for the hint, definitely I will try this clevo control center, ahead of throttle stop, the easier first, appreciate your guidance along to it. as stated, my last laptop had an i7 of the sixth generation, despite of using the turbo mode and my modded games, I never did experience of any issue, guess now it time to face the truth....

@Oussebon, my last comment in line to your straight opinion, being aware of now having double cores and lotsa more power but heat as well, sure to care for the parameters ahead of facing a meltdown :)

Thanks to all!