Interested in buying either Optimus III or Vortex III LE but I have some questions

jkp2505

Hi,

I am interested in buying either the Optimus III or Vortex III LE but I have some questions.

Firstly, the Optimus III has the option for upgrading to a 95% gamut matt screen. The part number is shown as 'AUO B156HW01 v3' which is different to the matt screen option on the other laptops which is B156HW01 v4, despite the base screen and upgrade cost being the same. Googling the part numbers suggests that the v3 may actually only be 60% gamut, although it's not clear. Can someone confirm whether the screen is the v3 or v4 version please?

Secondly, the Optimus III is based on the Clevo W150ERM right? How does this compare to the W150ERQ that seems much more common?

Lastly, what other advantages does the Vortex III LE have over the Optimus III other than a better GPU? According to the specs, the version of the GT 660M in the Vortex only has 1GB of RAM which seems to limit the advantage. So is it quieter/cooler/better built? I understand that the speakers are much better quality.

Thanks,

James

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member

rhx123

AFAIK The Optimus III has CPU Turbo Boost turned off by Clevo to favour the GPU Boost.
The Vortex LE has two fans rather than the Optimus III's one, meaning the GPU and CPU are not thermally linked like the single fan solution.
The GPU is the same chip, just with higher clocks, however the thermal solution means that overclocking is probably not a great idea (and probably not warranty compatible). Also modded drivers are needed as of yet to do it.