"Interesting" pricing

A314159

Super Star
So I was messing around on the website and found something weird. If I go into an intel system, and select the lowest price range, then spec out the a computer, it comes out £50 CHEAPER than the EXACT SAME if I chose the top spec 4th gen computers.
The only difference was in the motherboard, because it wasn't available... But still.

Furthermore, the exact same but swapping out the i54440 for an fx6350 only saved my £6 if I select the lowest price range.

What?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
So the price difference is not like for like? Different motherboard different price?

A314159

Super Star
Perhaps, but I'd be paying an extra £50 for a motherboard, I don't think the price difference is that high.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Perhaps, but I'd be paying an extra £50 for a motherboard, I don't think the price difference is that high.

Have you check the difference in price for those motherboards? Are you comparing the h81m-plus with the z97-a?

steaky360

PCS have commented on this before, it's partly because of the different price in motherboards but when you order a higher end system the price of other components also goes up slightly, this is to compensate for the perceived increase in expected returns etc from a high end system.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
PCS have commented on this before, it's partly because of the different price in motherboards but when you order a higher end system the price of other components also goes up slightly, this is to compensate for the perceived increase in expected returns etc from a high end system.

There seems to be around a £50 difference between the price of the cheapest motherboard in the home office section compare to the top spec computers. (H81-m plus vs z97-HD3)

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I think its the fact your comparing older z87 boards with newer z97 boards and they are not even in the same category performance wise.

Selecting some of the MAXIMUS boards give a much better approximation price wise, although not identical they are much more similar to each other than the comparison you are making.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
when you order a higher end system the price of other components also goes up slightly, this is to compensate for the perceived increase in expected returns etc from a high end system.

Which is wrong in my eyes, and is basically the antithesis of not including dead pixel cover on all laptops. PCS should up the price of warranty on higher end machines and not hide it in the price of the actual machines, a least people know they're paying extra then.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Not true. It is just higher end rigs have higher spec components, and as such PCS use actual branded Sellotape and Blu-Tack to hold it all together, instead of the ALDI own brand stuff used in more basic rigs. It all adds up!