Interference

NRD

Hi guy's

I know that there are methods of checking your broadband to see if anyone is interfering with your signal and also being able to move to another bandwidth if necessary. Problem, where does one find one of these programs please????

steaky360

Are you meaning broadband signal or wireless signal? Your wireless signal will be coming from your router (usually) and typically is password protected to help stop others from stealing your bandwidth.

I'm not sure what sort of programs you are referring to nor do I know what you mean by "move to another bandwidth if necessary".

kruppsy

Master
I think he may mean 'channel'? eg. if you and your neighbours are all on channel 6, you get slowdown interference.

I know there are programs on the PC which show this, im just not sure what they are, but I installed an app on my phone 'WiEye' ages ago so I never really needed to find out. It shows nearby signals and what channel they are occupying so that you can alter your own to avoid them, amongst other bits of info.

You may mean something completely different of course...

Last edited:

steaky360

If it is channel the op is referring to it should be a simple matter of changing the settings on the router - although not all routers allow you to do this.

Can you provide more details about the problem / your hardware (router etc.) and we might be able to be more help?

NRD

Yes guy's. Sorry to be so thick. It is channel switching that I meant, not bandwidth. I know that channels can be changed on the router to avoid clashes, but the programs that I was thinking of when installed would show details of your own and any others on or near to your own so allowing you to avoid having to many people sharing. Sorry that I might seem a little vague but I'm just not sure how to explain in computer speak as it were.

steaky360

Yes guy's. Sorry to be so thick. It is channel switching that I meant, not bandwidth. I know that channels can be changed on the router to avoid clashes, but the programs that I was thinking of when installed would show details of your own and any others on or near to your own so allowing you to avoid having to many people sharing. Sorry that I might seem a little vague but I'm just not sure how to explain in computer speak as it were.

Not at all bud, just wanted to make sure we were not just shooting in the dark haha. Unfortunately I don't know of any programs that will do what you want (but there are obviously ones out there!) Really though if you think you are getting interference just change the channel, it shouldn't cause any issues with your laptop etc. and might solve your issue :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi,

This should get you the info you want http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Darn! I was going to suggest inSSIDer and you beat me too it! :tt2:

InSSIDer is a great tool, it can show you graphically the wifi channels (both 2.5GHz and 5GHz) that are in use in your area. Usually on 2.5GHz everyone goes for either 1, 6 or 11 because they have no overlap. Often though, when these channels are congested you can get a better signal (and performance) by selecting one of the other, less used, channels. InSSIDer can show you whether it's worth doing so and which channel to switch to. Superb tool!

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
"And it's Torgan by a nose!!" :clap:

I totally agree with you though, InSSIDer is excellent. I live in an area full of commercial wifi users so it allowed me to move away from the hordes of suits hogging the channels all day

NRD

Now there we go guy's. I just knew that there was a prog. out there somewhere. It sounds as if this is just what I am looking for, I will have a look see tomorrow and report back. At this point many thanks indeed to all of you for trying to help this silver twit.
Back soon........

NRD

Hi everyone,
As promised here I am again. To those of you that suggested "Inssider" this is just what I was looking for. I had seen it before somewhere but could not remember where, however, I have downloaded it and am now in the process of getting to know its workings.
Once again to all of you many, many thanks for your help. As a point of interest it would seem at first glance that I am the only one on my channel so goody, goody.