Internal Hard Drives

Craigsup

Silver Level Poster
I've been looking around for a new media drive for my laptop.
I'm looking for a 1tb but i'd like it to be Sata 3 as the speeds will be faster, however all i can seem to find are SATA 2.

It doesn't make sense!

jkp2505

Where are you looking?

Anyway, in practice it will make almost no difference since normal laptop hard drives are nowhere near fast enough to reach the 300MB/s limit of SATA II.

Craigsup

Silver Level Poster
I was looking on amazon, as I have credit from returning my external one. My laptop currently has the cheapest 500gb hd that PCS sell but the speeds on it are horrifically slow. I get 10-20mb/s and when transferring over 300gb of films and 50gb of music it takes a long time :(

I guess for media storage, getting a Momentum XT is a waste of money and I should just opt for the 1tb drive that PCS sell?

jkp2505

I get 10-20mb/s and when transferring over 300gb of films and 50gb of music it takes a long time

Where are you transferring the files from? The SSD on your laptop or an external drive? If it is the latter then it is probably down to the limits of USB 2.0.

The Momentus XT drives actually seem like good value considering they are 7200RPM and have the benefit of the solid state cache memory. There doesn't seem to be a 1TB version though. Unfortunately 1TB notebook drives seem to be in very short supply these days and that is reflected in the prices

Craigsup

Silver Level Poster
Yeah it's an external drive and it is USB 2.0.

I've found the same Momentus XT drive on Amazon for a cheaper price (Still more than my 1tb External) So I may just suck it up and buy that. I can always buy a cheaper External Drive once I fill up the 750gb.

jkp2505

If you use a USB 2.0 external drive you will never get much more than about 20 MB/s maximum.

If you have end up with a spare hard drive you could always buy a USB 3.0 enclosure and put it in there.

Teaz

Godlike
external drive and it is USB 2.0.

There's your problem. also mentioned by jkp.

using a usb 3 port with a usb 2 drive will slightly improve speeds. always use the usb3 port to gain maximum use when transferring with usb2