Internet Browser Choice

markel

I have asked PCS to install Firefox rather than IE when they install WIN 7 on my newly ordered PC.
The reply I got back was that they do not install additional software on the PC, just a fresh install of Windows.
Firstly, I believe that as part of a windows install it asks you to choose which browser you would like and Secondly, if there's no browser installed how would I go about going online to install Firefox?
Does anyone have and thoughts or Ideas? What did you do?
Thanks in Advance.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Internet explorer will automatically be installed with the windows 7 package, you must survive the journey through IE to get to the firefox website where you download firefox

I wish you good luck trying to get through IE its horrible

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Wozza what makes you say that? Iv allways used IE and tbh have had no real issues? But iv heard ALOT of people saying that IE is a load of rubbish and never really understood why?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Wozza what makes you say that? Iv allways used IE and tbh have had no real issues? But iv heard ALOT of people saying that IE is a load of rubbish and never really understood why?

I cant stand it, it used to crash every 5 minutes on my laptop and lacks some of the add-on features that i use, such as Ad-block, i also found firefox much quicker at loading pages when i did a few personal tests and google chrome slightly quicker than that although im not the biggest fan of chrome

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
I may well look into firefox on my new pc then, if i can overcome my love for IE ^^
i will get back to you on it!

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I prefer Chrome as opposed to IE but there are some work related applications I am unable to open using Chrome therefore stuck with IE.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I converted to Chrome from FF last year. Both are good, very little between them...but exponentially better than IE (even though 9 is vastly better than previous IEs)

Buzz

Master
Chromeplus all the way

Mouse gestures, far more editable opions, IE Tab built in..

Chromeplus / Colonovo

Cant stand IE, although my brother swears by it. Firefox is just 2 slow, horrible feel and I only ever use when I need certain addons used like greasemonkey etc

Chrome and Chromeplus are by far the smoothest iv used. I have loads installed and use all for different things but CP is my main browser.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I love Chrome :) Much less bulky at the top than firefox :)

this is mine, its hardly bulky at the top

42394609.png

plus i dont have any bars at the bottom

Stappa

Enthusiast
With all new Win7 installs IE is default but all Win pc's have a pop up browser selection(u get to choose which browser u want).....I personally find Chrome far "quicker" at loading sites than their rivals....try them all and see which one suits u???

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
I used to love IE over any other browser and used it for years! I could always rely on it to be compatible with most websites and it was also quicker to start up compared to FF and Opera.

However It used to crash a lot (remember them badly designed flash websites which used to munch up all your memory = CTRL ALT DEL - Frustration - Reload Browser - "Do you want to reload your previous websites" - NO!!!), was very bulky, compared to the rest wasn't as fast, had many security flaws and was a target for adware (like viruses but just showed annoying ads installed onto your PC ads which in most cases involved a lot of time trying to remove, then when you finally did, your computer ran at about 20% it's previous efficiency). I converted to chrome as it brings a needed fresh new life into web browsers because it's:

- quick to start up
- very fast (browsing sites and using it's options etc)
- lightweight (in terms of resource hogging)
- secure (uses sandboxing so that code from one process can not talk to another - can be quite important for staying safe from websites with malicious code)
- and most of all SIMPLE - It has 1 bar, which can be used for either typing a web address or search. It also has a very clean interface which doesn't distract from the web content and only displays what is needed for general usage and nothing else!

I think it's the best browser by far out there. I feels like it's the next Generation. We had Netscape, then we had IE, then we had FireFox, Opera, Safari. Now we have Chrome :)

Tom DWC

I don't think IE bashing is justified anymore (it was, for along time) but as of version 9 it's very stable and very quick too. Overtaken Firefox again anyways, only reason I would use firefox now is for the customisation.

I guess Safari/Opera are pretty middle of the road, I seem to be one of the unlucky few who have alot of stability problems with chrome so don't bother using it.

Buzz

Master
Dont use anything but Chrome Plus anymore. Never once had an issue with it running on XP or windows 7. Fastest by far and iv tested many lol.

Only ever use IE (although agree 9 is far better then its predecessors) to install chrome
Only ever use Firefox to run scripts or using the offline mode.

End of day its down to choice and if your bothered or not using different ones for different things. Still Ill swear by chrome / Chrome plus. Way faster in my experience.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Well if you want the complete fastest, you should check out maxthon, i used to use it and its quicker than all of them although its not got as much customization etc

mishra

Rising Star
I don't think IE bashing is justified anymore (it was, for along time) but as of version 9 it's very stable and very quick too.

Well, I will disagree with this statement. I agree, that IE came a very long way since "the-worst-thing-ever-happen-to-humanity" = IE6, but still their end product is not that very good. First of all, Microsoft in their typical behavior will not just make one IE, they will make bazilions of them, and IE10 coming out very soon also... what a heck? I kno

Secondly, from a designer point of view, IE is a nightmare. I develop websites for Chrome, what it means it works fine on Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Safari (mostly) no problem... however IE: You need to manually check if it works for IE6, IE7, IE8 and IE9 !!! WTF ?!

Each iterations of IE, comes with it's own quirkiness and issues. I am "using" IE9 and by far it the the best one of them all but at the same time Chrome on my PC (with many addons, to name a few: web developer toolbar, firebug, eye droper) still opens quicker than my IE9 (without any addons at all)...how is that even posible? :)

Basically for all the people, new or existing ones. If you like change just hop into Chrome or Firefox experience because in the long run you cannot go wrong with that.
It took Microsft over 10 years to make Internet Explorer "fairly" usable (and that was after releasing nightmares like IE6, IE7, IE8), if you compare it to Chrome.. well hats off, simple as.

By no means I am a Google/Chrome fanboy, mind you for years I was hardcore Firefox fan.. things change tho... but IE will always stay same old IE with it's quirkiness.
... heh rant over, web browser is a personal choice... so go with whatever you like even if it has to be Netscape Navigator ... anyone remember that?

ps. Anyone used IE on Windows Server?? with all the security popups showing up out every 2 secs.. but then I believe this is a operating system issues rather than web browser, still .. on servers using it only to download Chrome and Updates (sic!)

Last edited: