Internet Drops

Spuff

Expert
About 12 days ago I started having trouble monitoring the streams I do. They would hang about 3 times then freeze.
I thought I had solved the issue by adding some exceptions to Kasperksy but the problem has returned (it worked for a couple of days after I did the Kaspersky thing).
The download profile looks like this, and this clearly is causing the issue:

internet%20drops_zpshebmrogu.jpg

I connect via Wi-Fi which until the issue started has been great. The good bits there are 114 Mbps.
The issue does not seem to be happening on my laptop, so it seems to be something within my PC causing the issue.
My wi-fi card is shown as working properly and the signal bars are full. Could it be the wi-fi card failing or are there other possible causes?

I use OBS, but the same issue occurs using Shadowplay.

Last edited:

Spuff

Expert
Success!
I un-installed the driver for my wi-fi card (causing it to disappear from my hardware list, scary), rebooted which caused Windows to re-install a driver for it (behind the scenes) and:
net%20solved_zpsa7ne6fpt.jpg

126 Mbps (download)
You could eat your dinner off that.

I think it's W10 updates what had done it.
Spuff happy.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Success!
I un-installed the driver for my wi-fi card (causing it to disappear from my hardware list, scary), rebooted which caused Windows to re-install a driver for it (behind the scenes) and:
net%20solved_zpsa7ne6fpt.jpg

126 Mbps
You could eat your dinner off that.

I think it's W10 updates what had done it.
Spuff happy.

Bloody hell, that's fast!

I've had a few problems with windows updates affecting my drivers, specifically trackpad and graphics. It's been quite annoying.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I disabled Windows Update entirely and install the updates manually. The update notifications drive me insane!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Nice catch!

One of the (many) reasons I've gone back to Windows 8.1 is the forced driver updates on Windows 10. I understand the philosophy behind "Windows as a service" and enforced updates, but Microsoft have to ensure that all updates (especially driver updates) are applicable anywhere and completely bombproof. And they're just not at the moment.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Nice catch!

One of the (many) reasons I've gone back to Windows 8.1 is the forced driver updates on Windows 10. I understand the philosophy behind "Windows as a service" and enforced updates, but Microsoft have to ensure that all updates (especially driver updates) are applicable anywhere and completely bombproof. And they're just not at the moment.

It's also that when the update is done even with a successful useful driver, it often resets settings back to defaults which is frustrating and makes troubleshooting very difficult.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
My experience with Windows 10 has overall been a negative one. There are a few neat features but a lot of really annoying little changes. The new task manager is great but every time I open it up it goes to the compact view and is never opened on my second screen where I leave it visible. It's just loads of little things that result in extra clicks every time I boot up. And the amount of registry hacks I've had to do to disable the notification center, metro apps and constant update notifications is super annoying