Internet goes off every 5 mins

DJxSHOTZ

I recently got my laptop in mid September and I'd say from about a month of having it I realised a problem that the internet seems to go out every 5 minutes, this is quite a large problem as when it goes off it doesn't just disconnect it from the laptop itself. However it disconnects every bit of equipment that is connected to the internet at that time as well (Phone, Tablet, Xbox). This has become quite a nuisance as I can't use it when I want to be using other equipment. Even when I write this it disconnects me. I have looked for ways to stop this and have done a network reset twice and nothing has happened. This is the only thing that I have had which essentially boots everything offline. Does anyone know a fix? Would be much appreciated.

Edit: I swapped over to my 5GHz internet instead of the 2.4GHz and so far fine. I didn't try this method before, but it might be that my computer is too powerful to run on 2.4GHz

My Specs:

Chassis & DisplayOptimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 120Hz 45% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 10750H (2.6GHz, 5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 - 4.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive1TB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 470MB/W)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated 3 in 1 Card Reader (Full Size SD / SDHC / SDXC)
AC Adaptor1 x 150W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
BatteryOptimus Series Integrated 46WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard LanguageOPTIMUS SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusBullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
BrowserMicrosoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook MouseINTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
WebcamINTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Last edited:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
2.4 is generally a very crowded band with stuff such as wi-fi controlled lights etc using it

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Does this disconnect happen only when your PC is connected? And has switching to 5GHz cured the problem completely?

It's not that your PC is too powerful for 2.4GHz, no PC is too powerful for 2.4GHz, but as mentioned above by @Martinr36 the 2.4GHz band is massively crowded - even more so if your router is using one of the common channels (1, 6 and 11) as I bet it is. Everyone uses those channels (I can explain why if you like).

If using 5GHz solves the problem and if your signal strengths are adequate (5GHz doesn't have the same wall penetration as 2.4GHz) then stay on 5GHz. If it works for you it's a better option anyway.

If you need to go back to 2.4GHz then use a site survey tool like the free version of inSSIDer3 to establish which are the least busy channels in your area and then change your router config to use that channel.