iomega ext hdd keeps disconnecting

tfcoulson

Silver Level Poster
Ive got a fairly new 1.5tb usb3 hdd (iomega prestige I think), the other day I think it got stuck copying some files and I shut down the laptop but had to hold the power button to shut it off instead as it got stuck turning off. I think thats what happened and probably broke it but I cant remember for certain. Anyways, when I booted up the next day and plugged in the hard drive, I couldnt access it and it said it needed to be formated, so all files gone. Ive tried formatting it a few times, and creating a new volume etc, both ntfs and exfat, but it doesnt seem to fix it. When I try and copy files accross it keeps seeming to disconnect itself and keeps breaking. Transfer speeds start off ok, 40-50mbs but then drop to below 1mbs after a minute or so, then a few minutes later it stops completely and the hdd is removed from My Computer. Ive error checked it and it doesnt seem to come up with a problem, ive also tried it through dos (using chkdsk E: /r - not 100% sure on what the difference is but ive had it on for over 24hrs and its managed to get 12% through, so not really practical...). Any ideas what I could do or whats wrong?
Thanks.
EDIT: just tried copying again and its gone off, went onto disk manager and its coming up with a message saying "You must initialise a disk before logical disk manager can access it" and its not showing it as being there, but it is still in device manager as working.

Last edited: