Ionico 17 review

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
As we think this chassis is going to be quite a hit and is still so new, and from the newly released BIOS fix addressing serious concerns, this review deserves to be made a sticky.

Thanks @Macco26 for taking the time to go so into depth over it, really good job (y)

Macco26

Expert
Again, to keep all the videos of same machine together, I put this message here as well:

How to undervolt, Power Limit, Fan tuning and Memory Overclock the Ionico:

This might apply also to any other Tongfang 2021 laptops (that is Elimina Pro, at this moment).

Macco26

Expert

Another deep benchmark and test of COD Warzone on this machine, at different CPU Power Levels, different resolutions, Raytracing on and off, and dGPU-only MUX on/off.
Timestamps available for your convenience.

Romain337

With lowest settings @1080p and no anti aliasing (I play on external screen native 1080p) I achieve 160-200+ fps and a graphic latency of 4-6ms wich is also great... ;) :)

Macco26

Expert
Yeah, for comparable results I've used very high settings, as Bob of All Trades uses the same for any machine he reviews. So it's apple to apple vs anything the market offers. In the Cards of my video you can find some 5800H, 5900HS and some old 2070 Super machines video links reviewed by him.

men8ifr

Thanks - I will be going through them all once my Ionico arrives, it will be interesting to see how much undervoltage a different 10875 will take - how did you end up with -100mv if you have no BSOD though?

Macco26

Expert
I ended up with -120 mV stable and keeping it so far. -125 showed errors in TSBench. Anything I said in my videos with values lower than 120 were not the final push ;)

Mattr3

Guys, can you please help me? I really need some answer about throttlestop!!!

1) if I want to reset to original values i only need to delete (or rename) the .INI file and do a complete shutdown (shift+shutdown), right?

2) it's safe lowering turbo ratio limits and offset voltage together? For example:
Cpu core and cpu cache: -96.5
1core:49 2core:48 3core:47 4core:46 5core:45 6core:44 7core:43 8core:41
I know i loose a little bit in performance but I will obtain lower temperatures, right?
i mostly play heavy GPU games so it's not a big problem
Thanks in advance!!!! :)

Macco26

Expert
1) yes

2) yes, but personally I am not touching TS frequency ratios. Instead I am using PL1/PL2 profiles in the CC to do the same. As thermal heat is proportional to wattage, I decide the max wattage of the CPU from there and let Intel decide which frequency / number of cores to use under a given wattage envelope. I trust Intel's engineers more than me.
The only moment I might use your criteria is for battery operation (I haven't yet) as CC is totally blocked under battery operation, so if you want even less power, you might to fiddle with those frequencies. Don't know if higher frequency are allowed in that scenario, though.

KKampas

Good afternoon. I just received (yesterday) my Ionico 15 and even though it was ordered after February it doesn't give me the choice of MUX. Do I need to ask for the new BIOS from PCS? Also it overheats a bit on CPU intensive games with 80-85 degrees on 50% load. Any help?

Macco26

Expert
Yes you should ask PCS for the 1.09 BIOS or later.
About temperature you should learn how to undervolt the laptop and set up the Power Limits of the CPU whenever a game does not need more than 45W, preferably 35W. To do so, you might check my dedicated video about that for my Ionico as a start.

williamrichier352

hello you too your ionico is having trouble switching from igpu to nvidia gpu in hybrid mode? I have the impression that as soon as the nvidia gpu activates it has trouble coming back to the igpu when I have finished a game ..

Another question I noticed that the pc tends to make micro voltage noise is it normal?
i had a clevo p775tm1 before it never made that kind of noise.

williamrichier352

hi i noticed a problem with a competitor control center, i did several opengl cinebench r15 tests and saw that if i turned off gpu boost and gpu watt, there was no difference. if I activate it every 2 at 125w + 15w nothing changes either, I almost always get the same score with a difference of 3fps.
i think it bug? I will uninstall the control center

Last edited by a moderator:

Macco26

Expert
When you intend "switching" you mean with Nvidia Optimus then? It might happen than some app continues to require Nvidia thus it can't stop. It is NOT happening to me, but this is a software issue others may suffer. It might be the Control Center (my 3.23.6 does not, for instance), it might be anything else. If the Nvidia Control Panel you should be able to activate a tray icon where it says what is turning on the Nvidia dGPU under Optimus. Then in the Windows settings you should be able to allocate which GPU to which app, in case you find who's the problem.

Regarding TGP, when benchmarking you should keep HWInfo64 or MSI Afterburner logging your GPU wattage. That's the only way to understand how much power they are using. For instance Dynamic Boost isn't activated if CPU is at 45W or beyond, so it depends on the type of your benchmark, really.
Mine works perfectly. You launch FurMark (heavily GPU bound) and see up to 140W of GPU power. If FPS does not change much for you it might be a good solution to resort in the MUX the machine offers. Sometimes, no matter how well the dGPU is doing, the iGPU bottlenecks the heck of it. You can't do anything but switching the MUX on and obtain your FPS increase.

PS: I don't recommend to remove the Control Center. You'll get hardcoded CPU Power Limit and who knows which GPU TDP/DB without.. But feel free to experiement without.

williamrichier352

The problem with the control center is precisely with the MuX activated, I no longer activate the optimus because I am looking for the problem that is slowing me down.
this morning i removed the nvidia driver with DDU and installed the new version i was surprised by doing a cinebench r15 test i did 181fps in opengl! better than mn pc tour 2080ti
after 3 openGl tests, the fps drop to stagnate at 140fps I don't understand ...

williamrichier352

I changed the thermal paste this weekend. I put on the GPU of the grizzly cryonaut in green, and of the liquid metal grizzly in red, I had the bad surprise to see that the radiator does not touch the cpu as you can see in the photo, no trace of plating on the cpu is a big problem. if it is not plated it is necessarily heated!