iOS 6

Advent

Only been able to sample it on my iPad 2 at the moment, But it seems like a bit of a mixed blessing - loving the 3D maps and the more simple Facebook and twitter uploading, and not having to put in your password for free apps etc is simple, but a lovely little relief.
Big upset though, what's with getting rid of YouTube? It's much of a problem - but is the competition really THAT bad that they get rid of something pretty much EVERY Internet user will use? Just a bit surprising really!
What are everyone's views on it? And how's the new Siri?

Yamikotai

Expert
They didn't just get rid of YouTube, they got rid of a lot of Google applications. Like Maps, which is now replaced with Apple Maps and not nearly so good.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I like the look of it if feels nice but it just feels like cometic changes really. It will make it feel like a new phone again for about a week. My biggest issue is that they still havent changed the Bluetooth settings. Ever since IOS5 i havent been able to get it to stay paired with my cars handsfree. Apple Blamed my car so i got the software upgraded in the car and it still didn't solve the problem. Doesn't look like they have addressed it now either.

Yamikotai

Expert
I like the look of it if feels nice but it just feels like cometic changes really. It will make it feel like a new phone again for about a week. My biggest issue is that they still havent changed the Bluetooth settings. Ever since IOS5 i havent been able to get it to stay paired with my cars handsfree. Apple Blamed my car so i got the software upgraded in the car and it still didn't solve the problem. Doesn't look like they have addressed it now either.

Tbh the problem there will be with your car; it's the manufacturer's job to make it work with the options Apple gives them.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
It worked fine with IOS 4 and I've joined a thread on the apple website and there's lots of people complaining about it in all manner or makes and models. There blaming it on IOS Dropping some BT support. The fact that Apple phone is the only one I have problems with shows a that they don't care much for backwards compatibility. I feel its a bit my way or no way. My dads 12 plate Volvo has the same issue that car is newer than IOS 5.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Welcome to Apple :p

=D Its a shame though becuase i like Apple product they just dont get on with non apple products.

Im not really one for sticking to one product i like to try them all but Apple is the first product i really worry about compatability with existing software and hardware.

Im not too happy with there lack of google apps at the moment but im assuming that Google Maps and youtube is downloadable throught the app store

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Looking at my friends iPhone whilst doing a few things, it looks an awful lot like android, the way the buttons react etc, it just seems like my android tablet

Its ashame google didnt patent everything on their OS otherwise iOS would be useless

rickne

Master Poster
My partner just upgraded her 4s to IOS 6 and she couldnt wait to show me two new features . One being that when you take a photo you can pull up a list of options for where to share that photo. Facebook , G+ , MMS etc . "Oh yeah My Android has done that for years I replied". Secondly she had to show me the new flashy Appstore with its big colourful banners. "Yeah wow that looks like how even the Android market was before Google Play." "sweet memories" I added. So Apple if you are all about innovation , then prove it. Give it a shot.

Yamikotai

Expert
You can't yet, but Google have submitted the app the same way that everyone else does. However, since Apple has a rule against apps that clone built-in functions of iOS, it's possible that they'll deny it (maybe not, considering the absolute shambles Apple Maps is).

Btw, I know it doesn't include YouTube any more but I assume that it is downloadable?

Last edited:

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
LOL ios6_2346664b.jpg

Maps IOS6

LFFPicard

Godlike
Just to point out, people do know iOS was aroud before Android, so Android infact made the interface intuative like iOS - iOS just never improved upon it over the years so Android has become much better.

iOS has alot of catching up to do.

rickne

Master Poster
That may be true but like has been said , Apple didn't build upon its initial code and Android got in there and made it a better product. That isn't arguable , its fact and the proof in the pudding is Apple is adding those exact same features all this time after android did. Apples biggest problem is its stubbornness to work with people or third parties. If Apple and Google were one product then there would be a real one phone situation. Unfortunetly neither of those companies will ever cooperate so we will always have to make do with one or the other. Sure you will get Google apps on the appstore but they won't ever be as in depth as their Android equivalent. On the flip side Apple will always have more app support due to its single device set up.

mishra

Rising Star
Im not too happy with there lack of google apps at the moment but im assuming that Google Maps and youtube is downloadable throught the app store

Youtube is available through Apple Store
Chrome is available through Apple Store
Google Mail is available through Apple Store
Google Drive is Available through Apple Store
Google+ is Available through Apple Store
Google Search is Available through Apple Store
Google Earth is Available through Apple Store
Google Maps - well yeah, that's a bummer but that is why I am not upgrading to IOS6 - not just yet. I bet any money Google Maps will be available through Apple Store in near future.

My iPhone synchronize Calendars, Contacts, Google Docs and Email perfectly fine with my Google Apps account... so what I am (or you are) missing? I am not sure. I will just add I'm not using a jail-broken phone it's off the shelf iPhone 4 from o2. I know I am not using latest iOS6 ... but maybe people should do more research before they will upgrade software on their devices as not always latest software is best!