Ipad steals connection

liamnic2

Super Star
Does anyone have the same problem as me ? When my sister turns on the wifi on her ipad my xbox lags like hell. I got from 4 bars to 1 in an instant.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
hmmm, get homeplugs and get a wired connection :)

but surely a ipad is going to dl that much data? a few sites? what does she do on it?

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
If you know how, try logging onto your router and setting static ips for the ipad and your xbox. It sholdnt make a difference tbh but u never know. I always have my devices on static ips (mainly cus its easier as a developer when im working with talking to each machine) but it does occasionally sort connection problems out with xbox's

Corfate

Author Level
I think i have the updated versions of those :)
Highly reccommended
dhs.jpg

liamnic2

Super Star
I think i have the updated versions of those :)
Highly reccommended
dhs.jpg

Hopefully 14mbps will be good enough to substain a good connection.
If the homeplugs dont work I have a easy way to solve things

1) Ask mum to pay for better broadband
OR
2) Snap the ipad in half

I have put too much money into that xbox for it to be taken over by a some Apple crap.

JSG10

Expert
What exactly do Homeplugs do and how do you set them up? Keep seeing them being mentioned but never looked into them myself.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Homeplugs basically send internet down your mains. They take an ethernet from the router into the back of one of them then you plug it into a wall socket. You then plug another homeplug into another wall socket and take an ethernet cable from the back of that into your pc. Setting them up is as easy as that, I think you press a button on both plugs at the same time though so that you can 'sync' them so no one else can use your internet. The homeplugs will only work with mains coming from one fusebox.

Corfate

Author Level
Just like Musicguy said, however on mine theres no need to sync them, just plug and you're away :)

JSG10

Expert
Homeplugs basically send internet down your mains. They take an ethernet from the router into the back of one of them then you plug it into a wall socket. You then plug another homeplug into another wall socket and take an ethernet cable from the back of that into your pc. Setting them up is as easy as that, I think you press a button on both plugs at the same time though so that you can 'sync' them so no one else can use your internet. The homeplugs will only work with mains coming from one fusebox.

Thanks for that :) +rep.

When you say only work with mains coming from one fusebox, our whole house has one main fusebox with all the switches for various parts of the house, I take it that's what you mean? So I could plug them into any plugs within the house? Would it work with an extension or not? And do they make that much of a difference?

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Yes, then it will work all round your house, but not in your neighbours house. It works of an extension cable alright but surge protectors cause problems, often when you have 4 sockets on the end of an extension cable, it can also cause the odd problem. Make that much difference, you mean homeplugs? Reliability, a wired connection is always the best, you don't notice how often wifi drops out until you go wired. It should help your situation here because, it would meant the aerial and wifi card in the router doesn't have to deal with two devices at once. Which is what slows my router down and often causes the wifi to cut out entirely but that is my router.