Is it safe to upgrade with this PSU?

TheKeir

Bright Spark
I bought a PC from PCS a couple of years ago and it came with a 450W unbranded PSU (on further inspection it appears to be a "FSP 450-60APN").

It's a fairly weak system, with just an AMD A4-3400 cpu in an Asus F1A55-m LE (also a Radeon 6850), however I'm now upgrading some parts. I'm getting an MSI Z87-G45 board and an i5-4670k processor. I don't have the money for a good power supply at the moment, but I'm slightly concerned about connecting it all due to the PSU. I'm very aware that bad power supplies can wreck systems, and I really don't want anything to go wrong with this.

Will the PSU do okay with this? I know it technically has enough power, but still

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'd personally keep my eye out for a 600w (ish) sized PSU. could probably pick up a decent brand for less than 50 quid.

TheKeir

Bright Spark
I'd personally keep my eye out for a 600w (ish) sized PSU. could probably pick up a decent brand for less than 50 quid.
I'm planning on getting a high-end graphics card later on next year, so I am definitely upgrading the PSU to a 600-650W, it's just I've realised I can't do it right now. I was thinking of getting the RM650 in particular. I'd like it to be high quality due to the future upgrade, and also fully modular would be nice.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Some of the unbranded PSU's can loose serious capacity over time, I think PCS know better than that and have probably got the best trade-off between cheap and quality. If all the wattages add up to under the 400w I would say your fine, any closer than that and you may want to jump in for a new PSU

I just had a look on ebay and WOW, you can pick up some really crappy PSU's for about the price of a stamp.... A decent one is going to set you back a few quid, but well worth it if your keen enough to transfer it to a new PC at a later date. You already know this, but for anyone lese tempted d not buy a 600w PSU for £12.99 off ebay. Cos that would be insane

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I don't wanna knock Corsair, But I aint heard anything good about the new RM series.

I was asking for PSU advice over on Overclock.net and quite a few guys were slating the new models. I have no idea how accurate that it is. However, they were saying that you need to look at the OEM of the brand, as Corsair/evga/whoever don't actually make their psu's they just stick their brand on it and flog it on...

If you are looking for something fully modular, you will probably need to spend well over 100 quid unfortunately.

TheKeir

Bright Spark
Some of the unbranded PSU's can loose serious capacity over time, I think PCS know better than that and have probably got the best trade-off between cheap and quality. If all the wattages add up to under the 400w I would say your fine, any closer than that and you may want to jump in for a new PSU

I just had a look on ebay and WOW, you can pick up some really crappy PSU's for about the price of a stamp.... A decent one is going to set you back a few quid, but well worth it if your keen enough to transfer it to a new PC at a later date. You already know this, but for anyone lese tempted d not buy a 600w PSU for £12.99 off ebay. Cos that would be insane
Agreed :p power supplies is one of the few areas which gives you legitimate quality improvement as you spend more money.

I warned my brother of this when he bought a crappy PSU to build a PC with... he went through 3 PSUs in a month, kept making the mistake. >.<

I don't wanna knock Corsair, But I aint heard anything good about the new RM series.

I was asking for PSU advice over on Overclock.net and quite a few guys were slating the new models. I have no idea how accurate that it is. However, they were saying that you need to look at the OEM of the brand, as Corsair/evga/whoever don't actually make their psu's they just stick their brand on it and flog it on...

If you are looking for something fully modular, you will probably need to spend well over 100 quid unfortunately.
The RM series got good reviews and seem pretty high quality; they're also fully modular and well priced.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I hadn't heard too many bad things about the RM series but I suppose I haven't heard many people raving about it so while it may not be a terrible PSU it might not be top quality.

If the features like 0 RMP mode and a fairly cheap modular design appeal then you could certainly do far far worse.