Is it worth OC'ing my 2700k in my build if everything else is stock?

Noodles

My build will be quite high spec I will be running 580's in SLI and will be using 8gb of GSkill with a 250GB SSD is it worth me having the 2700 OC'd or just go with the stock 2700? Am I getting any benefit from the OC'd CPU whatsever ? I have been informed that the OC will have no effect what so ever whilst gaming which is what I will be doing with this machine most of the time. Secondly will having a OC'd CPU put the system at risk of instability or failure in the short/longterm? I am not planning to have any other component OC'd just the CPU.

Cheers

Noodles:D

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I have yet to see any sane reason at all to overclock,
apart from trying to keep an older PC up to the task of handling
games or programs that it cant normally run.
just my opinion,:)

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I have to agree with Vanthus here although these days, the CPU is clocked at normal speeds when doing very little anyway and will only go to 5GHz when it requires it

id personally recommend dropping the GSkill 2133 RAM, its pointless and pretty expensive, 1600MHz will be more than enough

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Yes, I really wouldn't recommend o/cing yet. By all means do it in a few years time when the cpu starts to struggle but it only shortens the life of the cpu, produces a lot more heat and makes the whole pc unstable.