Is it worth upgrading CPU

dani72

Silver Level Poster
I bought a PC through PCS in late 2017 with the following specs:

CaseSend In Your Own Case
Case Model:Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 6
Case From:Amazon.co.uk
Overclocked CPUOverclocked Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Six Core (3.7GHz @ up to 4.8GHz)
MotherboardGigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 Ti - DVI, HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive512GB SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 2100MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE
Power SupplyCORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor CoolingCorsair H100i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Liquid Series Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal PasteEK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND
Extra Case FansNONE
Sound CardCreative Sound Blaster ZxR 5.1 PCI-E Soundcard
Wireless/Wired NetworkingASUS PCE-AC88 AC3100 2100Mbps/5GHz, 1000Mbps/2.4GHz
USB/Thunderbolt Options2 PORT (2 x TYPE A) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS
Operating SystemGenuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Single Licence
MonitorSamsung LC24F390FHUXEN Curved 24"
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: SAMSUNG LC27F591FDUXEN 27" Curved LED Monitor

I'm debating whether to upgrade the CPU as there are a couple of options for this on PCS and I thought it might make the PC faster for some tasks. The options are:

i5-9600K Six Core (3.7GHz @ up to 5GHz) (€269.52 inc. VAT)
i7-9700k Eight Core (3.60GHz @ up to 5GHz) (€452.43 inc. VAT)
i9-9900k Eight Core (3.6GHz @ up to 4.9GHz) (€609.88 inc. VAT)

I mostly use the PC for video editing with programs such as Nero Video & Magic Music Visuals although I also do some audio editing & mixing.

Would it be worth upgrading my CPU? Would I see much of a performance boost? Would the upgraded CPU be easy to install?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to waste money unnecessarily.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The 9900k would be the optimal as although it only has 8 cores like the 9700k, it also has HyperThreading which is very beneficial for multithreaded workloads which most of yours are. It would give a noticeable improvement.

Your PSU has ample headroom to take the extra power and the cooler (H100i) is suitable also.

Replacing the CPU is fairly straightforward, even more so with an AIO cooler such as yours. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube.

You’d need some thermal paste such as thermal grizzly Kryonaut which you can get from amazon for a few euros.

dani72

Silver Level Poster
The 9900k would be the optimal as although it only has 8 cores like the 9700k, it also has HyperThreading which is very beneficial for multithreaded workloads which most of yours are. It would give a noticeable improvement.

Your PSU has ample headroom to take the extra power and the cooler (H100i) is suitable also.

Replacing the CPU is fairly straightforward, even more so with an AIO cooler such as yours. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube.

You’d need some thermal paste such as thermal grizzly Kryonaut which you can get from amazon for a few euros.

That's great, thanks for the info. As usual you've been most helpful.