Is my laptop running too fast?

slippy88

I bought a laptop with the spec below. It works great but it is constantly showing 4.6Ghz as the clock speed, and sometimes when gaming the CPU heat is going to 85 degrees on some games. I have a cooling fan tray below the laptop and it is well ventilated on a table. Can anyone let me know if it is normal for it to run at 4.6ghz all the time or if it should be dropping down to 3.6ghz for everyday tasks like browsing the web or writing documents. I don't know what all the controls mean for Ratio Override, Power Limit, Cpu Voltage. I don't want to mess with any of these settings as I have no idea what I am doing. Can anyone let me know if this is a healthy speed to run at and if not what should I adjust to lower it?

Chassis & DisplayOctane Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache
Memory (RAM)64GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (4 x 16GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1

Attachments

• CC.jpg
    CC.jpg
    922 KB · Views: 137

debiruman665

Enthusiast
The default settings for the 9900k are extremely overclocked on the Clevo Control center and well out of normal spec, Great for benchmarks and power use but it'll be in jet engine mode constantly.

I can give you my recommended settings:

The multipliers will prevent you from thermal throttling during extreme usage

Put the smaller power limit which should be at 120W by default down to 95W which is the actual spec of the processor,
ramp the second high power limit which was 165W ( i think) right up to max, put the boost time in seconds up to max also.

edit: if ramping the second one up to max scares you you can set it to any arbitrary value you want and it will represent the max power state when turbo-boosting.

This will put your default running mode within spec and also give you the ability to all-out max performance when turbo boost mode is enabled.

undervolt to -85mV should be stable also and cool you down a bit

slippy88

Thanks here are the results while playing rainbow six siege and having loads of programs open. I am a bit scared of pushing the second power to 500w what does this do exactly just let it boost harder?

Attachments

• CC2=2.jpg
    CC2=2.jpg
    941.8 KB · Views: 132

debiruman665

Enthusiast
Thanks here are the results while playing rainbow six siege and having loads of programs open. I am a bit scared of pushing the second power to 500w what does this do exactly just let it boost harder?

95W is the baseline

you start off with 96 seconds in the turbo boost bank.

Whenever your laptop gets some heavy load that can use more than 95W draw it will boost the power up the total value of the second limit which is 165W.

meaning it can run at 165W for 96 seconds before going back down to 95W.

For every second you running on 95W it will add it back to the bank of time until it reaches 96 seconds maximum again available for use again for turbo boost.

So in effect, it means you will get 96 seconds of full blast and then the laptop will downclock down to 95W power draw and run a bit cooler.

If you wanted the laptop to run its normal speed at around 3.6Ghz then you would need to switch the battery performance mode to battery saver and it will disable this turbo boost mode entirely.