Is the VORTEX VIII garbage?

fejerm

Hey all!

I have put together a new laptop. The specs:

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700k (3.7GHz) 12MB Cache
FREE Warhammer: Vermintide 2 & XMorph Defense w/ select Intel CPUs!
Memory (RAM)
4GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
2 x NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 - 8.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DX 12.1
1st Hard Disk
500GB SEAGATE SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
250GB WD Blue™ 3D NAND M.2 SSD (up to 550MB/sR | 525MB/sW)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
256GB SAMSUNG PM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 2800MB/R, 1100MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
2 x Vortex Series 330W AC Adaptor (For GTX 1080)
Battery
Vortex Elite 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,800 mAh/89.21WH)
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre European Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9260 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0
USB Options
5 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 3.1 PORT AS STANDARD
Keyboard Language
VORTEX SERIES BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
NO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MP FULL HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Dead Pixel Guarantee
1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs
Delivery
4 - 5 DAY DELIVERY TO HUNGARY
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 11 working days
Quantity

(Dont mind the ram, I have 16 gb 3000 mhz ram ready for install)

However I have some concerns which I want to address before I pull the trigger.

Concern #1

From PCS I already owned an Octane II with 6700k and an Octane III with 7700k. Both had gtx 1080 and LG 60 (75) hz panel with GSync. However GSync was buggy on both systems when dx12 API was used for games. The bug was that when I was moving the camera around in a dx12 game, threre was an aftershadow at the edges of items in the background. It looked like if it was an extra layer of motion blur. It was annoying and caused nausea.
Only way to eliminate the issue was to disable GSync or to use Dx11 api instead. This was problematic witn games which only used dx12 api. All dx12 games were affected but the most noticable (and most annoying) was Rise of the Tomb Raider dx12.
Changing vga or display did not fix it.
I think it was a bug in the vbios of the cards.
The issue was software level and I was able to record it with Shadowplay.
Changing vga driver or reinstalling os did not help.

The issue was not limited to Clevo gtx 1080 and LG display because I have experienced the same problem with the Asus G701VIK which had gtx 1080 and 120hz Auo GSync panel.

However I did not experience this issue with the following laptops:
Msi gt73vr (gtx 1080, 120 hz Chi Mei panel), msi gt75vr (gtx 1080, 120 hz Chi Mei panel), hp omen 17 (gtx 1060, 60/75 hz lg gsync panel), Asus g752vm (gtx 1060, 60/75hz GSync panel)

I reported this issue on nbr and Geforce forums but no one else reported the same issue. This was either because other people involed thought that what they see is normal or this issue might have been limited to the components used by pcs.

Did anyone else experience this?
What happens if the laptop I order will have this again and not even an rma can fix it? Will PCS refund me or they will sweep this under the rug and will mark this problem as "intended behavior and not an issue" ?

Concern #2

The above laptop is a Clevo P870TM1-G.
For the sli variant there are 2 type of cooling:
1) 3 separate cooling with dedicated heatpipes for the cpu (4 heatpipes) and for each individual vga (3 heatpipes each)

o8DaqaZ.jpg
(On the picture its a p870km and that is why its only using a 3 heatpipe cpu cooling, however the vga cooling is the same)

2) the same 4 heatpipe cooling for the cpu as in 1) however on the vga side both vga is covered by 1 large vapor chamber cooling

BrfbBbx.jpg
The problem is that I have talked with PCS and they said that they are using 1) for the gtx 1080 sli system. This is a huge problem because that cooling was designed for gtx 1070 systems and it barely keeps the vga under throttling level even in those systems.
2) is more expensive, but much more efficient, howeven even with that both vga can get up to 80c during gaming.

My question to the owners of the gtx 1080 sli system:
What are your max temp after at least an hour of gaming with overclocking fan profile? By game I mean something which really stresses the system, like Witcher 3.
Are the vga the temps normal (80C or lower) or it goes up to 88C and they start throttling?

Concern #3
I once owned a Lenovo laptop with sli gt 755m and sli there was garbage. Microstuttering even with high fps and texture flickering inmmany games. I barely enjoyed Crysis 3, it had so many textures flickering.
I know that there is a chance that a new driver will not have the sli profile for the latest games and I dont mind.
But what about microstuttering (even with GSync) and texture flickering.
Are they an issue for this sli system and it is a better idea to go with a single card system?

Concern #4
I know PCS is the cheapest Clevo reseller in the EU, however did they improve quality during the past 1 year?
By quality I mean
1) components
The heatspreader in my octane iii was not the best quality. At the contact areas it had scratches and pits which affected temps and the contact was really bad which made even good quality thermal paste dry out in ~ 2 weeks.

2) quality control
I had to send back the laptop 3 times immediately after it arrived.
First had stuck pixel, second had screen without Gsync (panel had outdated edid which was not white listed in the vbios), third had dead pixel. The fourth one had issue free screen.
So pcs sent me 3 laptops with broken screens despite being checked by their technicians.
Has this improved?

Thank you for helping me with my concerns and sorry for the typos, was not easy writing so much from a tablet :)