Is there a big difference between choosing standard thermal paste over Arctic MX-4?

sean16

Bronze Level Poster
I was wondering if I should go for either the standard thermal paste or Arctic MX-4 option for my new build.

I've heard Arctic MX-4 is one of the best thermal pastes out there and I used it myself to replace the old thermal paste on my current PC.

Wouldn't the MX-4 last longer and be more effective?

Thanks.

Bigfoot

Grand Master
I was wondering if I should go for either the standard thermal paste or Arctic MX-4 option for my new build.

I've heard Arctic MX-4 is one of the best thermal pastes out there and I used it myself to replace the old thermal paste on my current PC.

Thanks.
It depends on your spec. If you have a Corsair AIO cooler in your build, you don’t need the Arctic paste as the cooler comes with high quality paste pre-applied.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken

Thanks.
Depends which cooler you buy, Noctua, Corsair and CoolerMaster cooling units come pre-applied with good quality paste. So you can actually create more hassle by adding the MX-4 because they’ll have to remove the original paste to add the new one and if you get a bad paste job you’re worse off and an extra tenner out of pocket.

sean16

Bronze Level Poster
It depends on your spec. If you have a Corsair AIO cooler in your build, you don’t need the Arctic paste as the cooler comes with high quality paste pre-applied.
Depends which cooler you buy, Noctua, Corsair and CoolerMaster cooling units come pre-applied with good quality paste. So you can actually create more hassle by adding the MX-4 because they’ll have to remove the original paste to add the new one and if you get a bad paste job you’re worse off and an extra tenner out of pocket.
Going for a CoolerMaster, so all good, yah?

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Not sure about the others, but FWIW my Noctua cooler didn't come with paste pre-applied: it did come with paste in the box. I don't know whether this would be included in an OEM package.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
That’s interesting, I’m sure I saw a vid with a Noctua fan cooler where they just peeled off some plastic to reveal paste and squidged it straight onto the CPU. I’m going to have to see if I can hunt it down... 🤔

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
All the videos on Noctua's website (that I've found) show the paste being added as part of the installation process. Here's what I got in my box (with my silly NH-D15S).

Noctua NT-H1 paste.jpg