Is there a tool to monitor internet use, my internet may be being pirated, not sure..

slane

Bronze Level Poster
Hey there people :)

I have been noticing some unusually high usage on my network, it's just me and my girlfriend in the house but in the past couple of months the usage has been oddly high and we can't think of what it could be.

We are not on unlimited usage so it kind of matters. If we go over we get charged.

Is there a program to monitor network usage, like an IP logger or something. The router is a thomson 585v8 (piece of crap, came free with connection) and the user interface is rubbish and I wonder if it could be 'hacked' to not show up the IP of an internet pirate.

Would a monitor program need to be on all computers using the internet, would it only monitor usage on the machine it is on.

I wouldn't mind someone using my internet if it was unlimited but it costs us to go over.

Cheers.

Step 1) Make sure there's no adware/malware on your PC by either doing a virus scan or downloading Malwarebytes.
Step 2) Change your internet security password and SSID if possible. These are all options in your routers settings.
Step 3) Check usage on say a Monday, don't use the internet on Tuesday and then check again on Wednesday. If usage has gone up, re-do steps 1/2 if not, you're sorted.

slane

Bronze Level Poster
Step 1) Make sure there's no adware/malware on your PC by either doing a virus scan or downloading Malwarebytes.
Step 2) Change your internet security password and SSID if possible. These are all options in your routers settings.
Step 3) Check usage on say a Monday, don't use the internet on Tuesday and then check again on Wednesday. If usage has gone up, re-do steps 1/2 if not, you're sorted.

Will do that, thanks for advice :)