Is this a good Gaming pc? Anything you think i need to change?

LadyCrimsyn1986

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard
ASUS® P8P67 PRO: USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, CrossFireX™ / SLI SUPPORT
Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (4 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
1536MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX580 - 2 DVI,mHDMI - DirectX® 11, 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
12x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£49)
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W TX SERIES (TX750) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£89)
Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO C240 A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£105)
Sound Card
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio (£31)

I was going to go for the Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition i7-980x Processor but the one i've chosen here is just about as good and a fraction of the price, do you think this is a good decision?

StrangeBacon

Games only need 4gb of ram so 16gb is overkill, if you want more 8gb will pretty much handle anything you throw at it, nice graphics card, bit jealous :D

Unless you need the 2TB of storage space the 1TB version of the caviar black is just as good.

The inbuilt audio is surprisingly good, unless you have a big sound system set up you wont see much difference between that and the card you have.

The cooler wont be needed unless you're overclocking, even then the triple heatpipe copper cooler is a good choice at only £19.

If you want to use two graphics cards in the future then upgrading the power supply to an 850w is a viable choice too.

And finally the 980x Extreme i7 is a hexcore processor, so for gaming again its overkill, most games only use 1-2 cores. The 2600k is suited to overclocking so unless you're into that theres little point over the 2600 which is slightly cheaper still, even then you'd be able to get away with an i5 2500.

Not sure what warranty you picked but get the silver if you have the standard, its only £5 extra and gives alot more flexibility!

Hope my input helped, im sure someone will be able to post an alternative spec at some point, im a bit pressed for time at the moment :D

Good Luck! :)

Last edited:

LadyCrimsyn1986

Games only need 4gb of ram so 16gb is overkill, if you want more 8gb will pretty much handle anything you throw at it, nice graphics card, bit jealous :D

Unless you need the 2TB of storage space the 1TB version of the caviar black is just as good.

The inbuilt audio is surprisingly good, unless you have a big sound system set up you wont see much difference between that and the card you have.

The cooler wont be needed unless you're overclocking, even then the triple heatpipe copper cooler is a good choice at only £19.

If you want to use two graphics cards in the future then upgrading the power supply to an 850w is a viable choice too.

And finally the 980x Extreme i7 is a hexcore processor, so for gaming again its overkill, most games only use 1-2 cores. The 2600k is suited to overclocking so unless you're into that theres little point over the 2600 which is slightly cheaper still, even then you'd be able to get away with an i5 2500.

Not sure what warranty you picked but get the silver if you have the standard, its only £5 extra and gives alot more flexibility!

Hope my input helped, im sure someone will be able to post an alternative spec at some point, im a bit pressed for time at the moment :D

Good Luck! :)

Thanks for your answer. I did want 12Gb of RAM but that option wasn't available so i picked the 16gb. I like that bit extra as it might come in handy in future. I chose a 2TB hard drive as i do download a hell of a lot of movies and music, i could easily fill that in time. Oh and yes i did pick the silver warranty. :)

Meds

I think Bacon has said everything that needed to be mentioned! Consider his points in regards to overclocking, if you don't plan to overclock then you will be fine with the standard i7-2600, Samsung RAM & Triple Copper Cooler.