Is this a Good Laptop for Gaming?

Karthal

Bronze Level Poster
So I've been in the market for a while now for a gaming laptop that can at least run games on high (more preferably ultra) at a resolution of 1920x1080 with a stable fps of 60, when I came across this. do you think these specs will be able to provide me with the gaming experience I would like? Does this set-up come across any problems such as high temperature when gaming and also, will the upgraded thermal paste do any good for me?

Chassis & Display:
Vortex Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU):
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz) 6MB

Memory (RAM):
8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 8GB)

Graphics Card:
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M - 8.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

1st Hard Disk:
1TB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)

mSATA SSD Drive:
30GB INTEL® 525 mSATA MLC SSD (upto 550MB/sR | 475MB/sW)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive:
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Memory Card Reader:
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Thermal Paste:
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

Sound Card:
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

Operating System:
Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Upgrading the thermal paste will definitely help with temps. Any particular reason you want 60+ fps? The gtx 880m will max games to at least 30fps+ but to get 60fps you need a SLI set up. Do you have a budget? I would consider a 120gb SSD as the primary drive, Scorpio black as the secondary drive and the killer 1202 wireless card.

Karthal

Bronze Level Poster
Upgrading the thermal paste will definitely help with temps. Any particular reason you want 60+ fps? The gtx 880m will max games to at least 30fps+ but to get 60fps you need a SLI set up. Do you have a budget? I would consider a 120gb SSD as the primary drive, Scorpio black as the secondary drive and the killer 1202 wireless card.
No particular reason other than I like 60fps better than 30. My budget is £1000-1360 and the build mentioned previously (by me without the recommend parts) costs £1359 so i can't really upgrade without going over budget. What the the parts you recommend do for me?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
No particular reason other than I like 60fps better than 30. My budget is £1000-1360 and the build mentioned previously (by me without the recommend parts) costs £1359 so i can't really upgrade without going over budget. What the the parts you recommend do for me?

For your budget you can't get +60fps on ultra settings.

Karthal

Bronze Level Poster
Well as long as i can get 60 on medium I'll be happy, also I tried to get the drives you suggested however to get them to work i would need to get rid of my dvd reader and i would prefer to have that...does the WD Black² Dual Drive - 120GB SSD and 1TB HDD do the same thing?

Zeeqo

Bronze Level Poster
Just checked the benchmarks for the 880M,

Tomb Raider 60+ on Ultra
Crysis 3 30+ on Ultra
and Battlefield 4 gets around 45 fps on ultra

It's not a bad card, it depends on what games you wanted to play as you never specified you wanted to play newer games, but it does seem to play newer games relatively well

Karthal

Bronze Level Poster
I'm just gonna go for the dual drive and one more thing, the £90 in game voucher: what does that consist of, is it like a £90 to put into your steam wallet for example?

Zeeqo

Bronze Level Poster
I think it's for in game items not Steam as such, but check the front page / PCS for an actual answer