is this a good spec?...what would you change?

iTzMEKKAOUI

Gold Level Poster
Do you think i should purchase a laptop or computer.
I've always had a laptop but would love a computer but, They are they are more expensive when you have to pay for monitor,mouse,keyboard,desk,chair ect...
So I'm just a lil' concerned if a laptop won't be powerful enough for editing and playing odd game's now and then.
which one would you go for?..I have listed two specs down below, One for a laptop and one for a Computer.

Laptop -
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2860QM (2.50GHz) 8MB

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Memory - Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

Computer -
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7-2600 Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics

Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z68-V: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, NVIDIA®SLI™, ATI®CrossFireX

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)

Graphics Card
1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 570 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
750GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD7502AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£72)

Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE INTEL CPU COOLER (£19)

My Max Budget for a Computer is £1150:'\.
and Laptop budget is £1280.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
How can you have a higher budget for a laptop?

I presume he is taking the cost of a desk and chair, or monitor off the total budget.

You say a desktop would be more expensive, i'm not so sure that is the case! Yes you will have a one off cost of a monitor, a chair etc but its a one off cost. When you buy a desktop you get much much more power for the same price when you compare against a laptop.

The GPU in your desktop is about 3 times faster than your laptop GPU, while your laptop processor is only about 15% slower you are paying alot more for it.

If you don't need mobility, get a desktop. Invest in a nice big monitor and you wont regret it.

bg92

Expert
Last year I was in the same position. I was stating uni and I had to choose between a laptop and a desktop. I'm really happy I went with a desktop. You get more power for the same money, and a desktop is easy to upgrade. But if you really portability then a laptop would be a good choice.

MadMan

Super Star
I was in the same boat a few weeks back as I was starting uni but I chose a pc and haven't looked back since.