Is this build ok? Any bottlenecks i might be missing.

kylahe

Hi All,

Looking to get a desktop for xmas to replace my gaming laptop. I will be gaming at 1080p and looking to maintain high framerate:

Case COOLERMASTER CM STORM TROOPER - GAMING ENTHUSIAST CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4820K (3.7GHz) 10MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® RAMPAGE IV EXTREME: INTEL X79, SOCKET 2011, R.O.G
Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 8GB
KIT)
Graphics Card 3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
2nd Graphics Card 3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - Hard Disk 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply CORSAIR 1050W PRO SERIES™ HX1050-80 PLUS® GOLD MODULAR
Processor Cooling Corsair H60 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Extra Case Fans 2 x 12CM Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable 1 x 2 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Monitor BENQ GW2265HM 21.5" VA LED MONITOR, D-SUB, DVI-D / HDMI

I know 2 SLI with GTX 780's might be overkill but i like the idea of playing games on this for a good while before needing to upgrade?

Any advice or info on this build would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The motherboard is overkill and you could get high fps with an i5-4670k. I would try to get an SSD as the primary drive and a caviar black as the secondary drive.

kruppsy

Master
If you want an i7 thats fine but the 4770 would be more than adequate with a lesser motherboard, an i5 would do just as good a job for gaming. SLI 780s is massively overkill for a single screen 1080p setup, a single 780 will last a good few years gaming at that resolution. Spending as much as you are I'd consider an SSD as the primary drive or at least a WD HDD for some speed. The monitor you have chosen won't really do the rig justice, I'd definitely look at a higher end one. The savings i mention would allow this. Give yourself a PSU with enough wattage to allow an SLi in the future but I really wouldn't first off imo.

kruppsy

Master
Just wondering what mother board you would suggest? I'm kinda new to this so bit lost on what is the best for my use.

The Z87-A would be fine and allows an SLi down the line. If you want something a little bit fruity you could plump for the SABERTOOTH. For overclocking it is a stronger board and comes with dust covers for the slots & Thermal Armour (bit of a gimmick but looks nice) plus a few other uprated bits. I would only get this board if you still have plenty of budget to play with after the rest of your build has come together, like I say, you'd be fine with the Z87-A.

Last edited:

kylahe

If i dropped to the Z67-A, dropped to one GTX 780 (for now) and kept the i7-4770 would i be able to run, for example, Crysis 3 at 1080p 60 fps? It does save me like 600 euro!

fedris the red

It might be worth hanging on for GTX 780 Ti - I think it's out Thursday assuming it's a simultaneous worldwide release (...and PCS stocking it straight away.), not sure how much it's going to be but fairly sure it'll be cheaper than two 780s and if the leaked benchmarks are to be believed it's plenty powerful for single screen, ultra setting gaming for the next few years. (Well that's what I'm hoping anyway...)

kylahe

Depending on what the Ti brings to the table this is the build I have at the mo:

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4770k (3.5GHz) 8MB Cache

Motherboard ASUS® Z87-A: ATX, USB2.0, USB3.0, SATA6GB/S, SLi, XFIRE

2nd Graphics Card 3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

Memory - 1st Hard Disk 240GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR |

2nd Hard Disk 2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 15x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW

Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Wireless/Wired Networking WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD

USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT

Monitor BENQ XL2411T 23.6" GAMING LED - 1920 x 1080, 1MS, DVI-D, HDMI

Any thoughts, also thanks for all the help so far saved enough to get a better screen!

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
You won't get any noticeable benefits from OC your CPU for gaming but if you still want to do it I would get a pre-over clocked system and a better CPU cooler.

baron75mk2

Banned
Depending on what the Ti brings to the table this is the build I have at the mo:

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4770k (3.5GHz) 8MB Cache

Motherboard ASUS® Z87-A: ATX, USB2.0, USB3.0, SATA6GB/S, SLi, XFIRE

Memory - 1st Hard Disk 240GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR |

2nd Hard Disk 2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 15x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW

Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Wireless/Wired Networking WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD

USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT

Monitor BENQ XL2411T 23.6" GAMING LED - 1920 x 1080, 1MS, DVI-D, HDMI

Any thoughts, also thanks for all the help so far saved enough to get a better screen!

This is great for the kind of gsmes you are running & most importantly the settings & framerates you want to achieve.

I cant comment on the monitor as thats not my field at all.

But as mentioned if you dont want to overclock in the future then go for the non "K" version , overclocked processor wont really do much for MOST games , but sometimes it can be benificial for CPU heavy stuff , i had to do it to get 60 at ALL times in assassins creed 3 , so sometimes it can be benificial , but not most of the time.
Basically if you have the "K" version & you find some games that you think could benifit from an overclock you can try the overclock ,
If you havent got the "K" version you cant - so here the choice is yours really to weigh up.

The WD caviar black is a great drive for everything , one of the best.

The SSD is just not needed for a gaming system (ill probably get pounced on here , but its a fact)

You will have a great system here - hope you enjoy it :)