is this still overpowered for low level games?

Gregg83

This is my point. Because modern GPU’s are so very powerful, even low power games now have full 3D rendering and that’s only going to increase each year.

The latest Total War is very unlike previous versions graphically and has been a major success. They’re unlikely to reverse course.

At the moment, yes sure, you’re playing the games, but you’re missing out on a lot of immersion by not speccing optimally to appreciate what the games have to offer.
you sound like you are on commission lol

i get what you are saying, but that isnt an interest and never will be mate

Gregg83

Never say never. All things change. ;)
it is certainly the only certainty, but can always upgrade or buy again in a few years

to be honest, if this pc could do what it does now without overheating when playing games i wouldnt even be looking. got a fan sat on top at the moment to keep it going, but it isnt really the right weather for it

Gavras

Master Poster
again, not interested in ultra settings or a new monitor. more interested in if it works, and will do for a few years maybe

my only real concern is downgrading too far, and not being able to play something like three kingdoms in say, 2022.

for memory, everything i read suggested 16gb is generally best, assuming that will run anything even at a basic rate
What you are heading for seems false economy, upgrade to a low level now, then upgrade in 2 years to another low level.

Also, it’s amazing what games you can suddenly start playing, never played an Assassins Creed game, however decided to try Odyssey before getting Valhalla (free with CPU), I now own 4 of them and have a few hundred hours of game play.

Before that was mainly Warhammer 2 and other strategy games.

Ignoring ultra settings, the ability to use huge armies does change game play.

the important bit is spending cash on a good base build, where you can upgrade gfx card later or screen without buying new stuff.

Things like an M.2 drive improve load times and therefore quality of overall experience with pc.

making sure to buy a good quality Gold standard CPU, at least 750 watts. RMX and modular as means can upgrade if needed.

Motherboard with good cooling.

a latest gen AMD coupled with latest motherboard gives access to better integration.

Just avoid cutting corners now, just because at this moment in you don’t play a game.

What happens if your monitor dies tomorrow?

You then end up with a 1440p that your PCs cannot exploit.

I currently play 1080p, however my build allows for a future 1440p or 4K gaming.

Gregg83

What you are heading for seems false economy, upgrade to a low level now, then upgrade in 2 years to another low level.

Also, it’s amazing what games you can suddenly start playing, never played an Assassins Creed game, however decided to try Odyssey before getting Valhalla (free with CPU), I now own 4 of them and have a few hundred hours of game play.

Before that was mainly Warhammer 2 and other strategy games.

Ignoring ultra settings, the ability to use huge armies does change game play.

the important bit is spending cash on a good base build, where you can upgrade gfx card later or screen without buying new stuff.

Things like an M.2 drive improve load times and therefore quality of overall experience with pc.

making sure to buy a good quality Gold standard CPU, at least 750 watts. RMX and modular as means can upgrade if needed.

Motherboard with good cooling.

a latest gen AMD coupled with latest motherboard gives access to better integration.

Just avoid cutting corners now, just because at this moment in you don’t play a game.

What happens if your monitor dies tomorrow?

You then end up with a 1440p that your PCs cannot exploit.

I currently play 1080p, however my build allows for a future 1440p or 4K gaming.
that was kind of what i intended with this pc, but never actually upgraded anything until this year. im thinking the life of a pc is going to be 4-5 years, hence putting on what i have so far. but for using today it seems overkill. have found 2vs2 armies is painful at times though lol

m.2 definitely seems what everybody recommends, looking into saving my current hard drives for storage. if i knew how to save more of it i would, already has the 750 watt gold ultra quiet power supply and same cooler system they are still selling now, so know they are good stuff. not surer what the difference is between this and the built in standard amd cooler? guessing that it would be louder though

if my monitor dies tomorrow, i will blame you of course!

Gavras

Master Poster
that was kind of what i intended with this pc, but never actually upgraded anything until this year. im thinking the life of a pc is going to be 4-5 years, hence putting on what i have so far. but for using today it seems overkill. have found 2vs2 armies is painful at times though lol

m.2 definitely seems what everybody recommends, looking into saving my current hard drives for storage. if i knew how to save more of it i would, already has the 750 watt gold ultra quiet power supply and same cooler system they are still selling now, so know they are good stuff. not surer what the difference is between this and the built in standard amd cooler? guessing that it would be louder though

if my monitor dies tomorrow, i will blame you of course!
I work off a 10 year life for a PC, with GFX cards being the only replacement, or if water pump fails.

my previous system 650W PSU is happy in a new home with my mates PC and my case has become a home gaming server for another mate.

Gregg83

I work off a 10 year life for a PC, with GFX cards being the only replacement, or if water pump fails.

my previous system 650W PSU is happy in a new home with my mates PC and my case has become a home gaming server for another mate.
if i knew how to do that stuff, would love to try and save the psu, cooling and definitely the case. really hard to find a good one on here at least that has a disc drive still. and its just kinda pretty

the more i look, the more i think maybe i shoud just stop playing the games. would love to see how long this one would last without the graphics problems